Parents Relearning cartwheel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am curious about cartwheels. My kiddo has been able to do a cartwheel in a straight line for a year and beam since she was 3. But now she is starting to learn the cartwheel in a step kick lunge way and it’s somewhat confusing to me (and her). Did the baby fast one not count and why wasn’t she learning it this way from the start? I see where you get more power in this step kick lunge sequence, but is it typical reteach the cartwheel like this? Now she can’t really do a cartwheel straight anymore (she’s almost 5 and just started this class a couple of months ago). And does this happen with other skills? She learned the cartwheel in gymnastics class, so I would think the coaches know they need to reteach it, it’s just confusing to me. Thanks for any insight.

Cartwheels that 3 and 4 years olds learn are many times just rhythmical sequences... hand... hand... foot... foot. They are probably just working on form and technique now.

Gymnastics is a highly technical sport. Unfortunately, learning the correct technique right away can be soul-crushingly boring (and prohibitively challenging) for most kids. In rec programs, the curriculum typically sacrifices rigor in favor of accessibility and entertainment. As gymnasts progress, more emphasis is placed on technique. This usually involves fixing bad habits that developed along the way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back