Parents Reminder for parents - Meet Etiquette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The meet etiquette sounds to me like common sense! I have never, ever been to a gymnastics meet...nor has anyone I personally know. But, you would think that people would use plain ole common sense..

Go see a meet if there are any close by, they can be quite eye opening.

The meet etiquette sounds to me like common sense! I have never, ever been to a gymnastics meet...nor has anyone I personally know. But, you would think that people would use plain ole common sense..

You would think so wouldn't you. Just remember Common Sense isn't that common.
I've seen some really rude folks without an ounce of common sense at these meets. I'm always amazed at some of the stupid things people do.

Over here all the competitions (we don't really use the word 'meet' here) are hosted by the gym clubs at their own gymnasiums using their own equipment. It just wouldn't be feasible to do any other way. And yes, the first competition I ever went to when DD started competitive, the gym was absolutely FREEZING!

All the gyms charge the spectators to get in, but it is usually only about $3 entry fee, $2 for a program and 50 cents for the score sheet at the end. The gym does need the parents to volunteer to do front of house, score recording, running the cafeteria, baking for the cafeteria, bringing the judges' lunches, etc. Nobody gets any financial compensation, not even the judges. I doubt there is any profit in it, I think the gyms are just trying to break even.

The competitions here are relatively quiet, thank goodness. Usually just polite clapping, maybe a little cheering for a good routine, occasionally someone may call out words of encouragement. I don't like it when there is a lot of noise, but it isn't common. The novice competitions for the rec kids are worse in some ways, because people bring their toddlers and younger children who end up climbing on the gear, running out onto the floor and so on.

Usual charges here are $5-$10 for a meet at a gym and $10-$15 for outside facility, up to $25 for a weekend pass AND often parking fee as well. We went to the NCAA Regionals last year and paid $6.00 per person. It struck me that we could see that level of excellent gymnastics for only $6.00, but for parents to see their L2 kid compete all of under 2 minutes total, they would pay $30. And if grandparents or other relatives want to come??? In just the past 2 years we have seen spectator admission fees go up at just about every meet around. WE (our club) has had enough. We decided to charge $1.00 admission fee for our home meet this year. Yes, we won't make as much money, but we are hoping we will sell a little more at concessions and more programs. Also, we did raise the gymnast entry fee by $5.00 to help offset the cost. Our meet is in December. We are really hoping it may catch on with other gyms around.

I've paid as little as $3 per person to as much as $25 per person all per session. I feel sorry for the parents that have more than one kid compeating and have to pay for 2 sessions. I've seen too the "weekend" pass for as much as $50 per person for the weekend so you can go to all sessions and I've seen folks pay it. Sorry I'm lucky to make it through my own DD's Session without having to pay again to support another team mate later in the day. Money is just too tight.

Around here the 'normal' for an adult admission is $6-8, up to $10. This is per day so when I had 2 competing, the only time I got hit twice was when they were competing on different days. Even if they were not consecutive sessions, the hosts allow reentry with a handstamp and competing gymnasts for that day (regardless of session) were free. For kids, admissions are usualy $3-5.

All our meets are held in rented out facilities, high schools, convention centres or sports complexes. The gymnasts pay $75 meet fees and that's all. The host gym might make a bit off concessions, but it isn't a big money maker here.

This is how it is here, in our state too. I know the meet that our gym hosts ($70 entry fee, $3 admission fee..for about 500 girls.over 3 days/9 or 10 sessions) ..makes very little money off of it. You have to rent the venue..rent the equipment..the scoreboard equipment. You pay the judges (dont you even have to supply hotels or housing for them too?), the guy that runs the computers for the scoreboard..and buy trophies, medals..ect...ect. Much to some people's disbelief..the host gym is lucky to walk away with any money at all.

Here we pay judges a certain amount per session, the amount varies on their level of experience and also the level judged. Their travel is paid as is their hotel room. All meals are provided or paid for as well, of course. I have to say I think our judges are vastly underpaid for a very tough job. With our all optionals system they are watching hundreds of different routines, picking out skills etc. a massive job.

Certainly at County level we dont pay dthe judges - they are usually coaches at the gyms who participate and donate their time, meets are held in the host gym, lunch is a couple of sandwiches and a pasty or two, there is NO scorebord electronic or otherwise and medals are awarded to top 3 only in each event.

We also have no electronic scoreboards, we use gymnova flipboards, even at the national level meets. Also medals are for top 3 only, ribbons for 4-8 if there are more than a certain number of girls in the group. THough with less than five girls only gold is awarded ever.

1. Screaming parents--stop! There's one gym that always wins--ALWAYS! The girls make the highest scores, always 9s. Yet you'd think the parents never saw a nine before! The whole group if parents screams for every score. It startled and annoys me, so I'm sure ur bothers the gymnasts.

2. MatDay--if your daughter makes team, you will have to pay to see her compete. I have actually started crying at the door to a meet because the entry fee was $15 or $20. I always go alone because we can barely scrape up the money to keep my girls training. I usually go the whole meet without snacks or drinks because I can't afford them (only if I can bring them in) my husband has been to 2 meets in 6 years, and I never bring the other kids. You pay to put them in the Merton, you pay to train them, and then you have to pay to watch. (I always thought one free pass per gymnast would be a nice gesture)

3. Hosts--please do not put chairs so close you can't get between the rows to sit, or in rows so long you can't get out. And without tiered seating, no one can see after the second row. And please be aware of the temperature.

the hosts allow reentry with a handstamp and competing gymnasts for that day (regardless of session) were free.

We tried that and ended up with kids everywhere - unsupervised. Parents were dropping them off for the day.

As for letting one parent in per child for free - YES! I agree! that would be awesome! The problem with that is they would take advantage or figure a way to scam more then 1 in. I'm curious on ideas how to make that work

It upsets me how a few can ruin it for all.

I've seen adults attempt to hide in the bathroom, transfer a stamp from hand to hand, I've seen adults in the parking lot with different colored sharpies to mark their own hand . . . I've had a gym "secretary" insist she didn't have to pay AND that she could go out on the floor to see her daughter. It saddens me.

AND YES! please make the seats usable - we don't want to sit on top of each other and we do need to be able to get up and down. Personally - I never sit. I'd rather stand in the back . . and yes, I will occasionally stand on a chair . . . in the back . . . where no one is behind me.

As for cheering - I try not to! Want to know why? I had, on more then one occasion, a mom casually (and not so casually) buddy up to me and start grilling me on how old my daughter is - trying to see if she was competing against her child.

personally, I find I enjoy myself more if I don't know who is competing against who and the scores etc. I am not a fan of the scores and placings being posted during the competition. I really don't want to know.

personally, I find I enjoy myself more if I don't know who is competing against who and the scores etc. I am not a fan of the scores and placings being posted during the competition. I really don't want to know.

Me Too! I hate when they have those big screens going with 'up-to-date' live scoring. They become a distraction to a lot of parents and gymnasts (I've seen one meet have them on a large pull down screen where all the girls could track where they were).
They are like a bad accident.....You don't want to see, but can't help looking when you walk past. The last one we went to I did SO good. I really did not want to know where dd was til awards. Then, right when dd's age group started awards, one of the dad's came up and told me How awesome it was that dd took 1st AA. I almost made it w/o knowing :(. Thank goodness most of the meets we attend don't do that type of scoring.

We tried that and ended up with kids everywhere - unsupervised. Parents were dropping them off for the day.

I think this is more of an issue for the host gym, we have tried to avoid that by having rules for our own parents/kids. I don't think many would drive to some other gym and leave their child for the day :D

Me Too! I hate when they have those big screens going with 'up-to-date' live scoring. They become a distraction to a lot of parents and gymnasts (I've seen one meet have them on a large pull down screen where all the girls could track where they were).
They are like a bad accident.....You don't want to see, but can't help looking when you walk past. The last one we went to I did SO good. I really did not want to know where dd was til awards. Then, right when dd's age group started awards, one of the dad's came up and told me How awesome it was that dd took 1st AA. I almost made it w/o knowing :(. Thank goodness most of the meets we attend don't do that type of scoring.

I feel the same! There is one meet company that does that and it seems that you can't avoid it. They were at the state meet and I would tell my husband that I didn't want to know (even though he would go look). The very last rotation (beam), one of DD's coaches who didn't coach beam came up to me and said, "you know your daughter's in 1st". Arggh!!

I have never seen such a thing! Wow! I was impressed when, last year at States, the girls scores were shown up on a scoreboard rather than on those hand-held flippy thingies.

Hmmmmm.... I can't help but feel like there are a lot of judgements being made about strangers. If there are parents who just drop children off, perhaps they are in a tight spot or couldn't find the money/time for the whole family to go? If there is a stranger sitting next to you and it seems like he/she is sizing up the competition, maybe they are feeling nervous and don't know how else to strike up a conversation with somebody next to them? Is it possible that someone's DD likes to hear her parents cheer for her in the stands? I'm not saying people should be rude and inconsiderate, but after reading some of these posts, I will certainly think twice before doing ANYthing at ANY meet for fear that someone will be complaining about it on the internet.

Hmmmmm.... I can't help but feel like there are a lot of judgements being made about strangers. If there are parents who just drop children off, perhaps they are in a tight spot or couldn't find the money/time for the whole family to go?

I was referring to an entire team of pre-teens & teenagers being dropped off 8 am and picked up at 8 pm by the van full. Come for one or two sessions but even the gymnasts eventually have had enough of watching and end up hanging out everywhere.

If there is a stranger sitting next to you and it seems like he/she is sizing up the competition, maybe they are feeling nervous and don't know how else to strike up a conversation with somebody next to them?

I'm a friendly person and yes, that is exactly what I use to think. And I've made many friends with other teams parents chatting at meets. However, with some people the conversation turns and you get a weird feeling. The questioning starts feeling less like a conversation and more like a third degree
. . . oh your DD on beam next? what does she usually score? Did she do bars yet? what was her score? Hold old is her teammate . . . how's did she score?

Is it possible that someone's DD likes to hear her parents cheer for her in the stands?
I'm not saying people should be rude and inconsiderate, but after reading some of these posts, I will certainly think twice before doing ANYthing at ANY meet for fear that someone will be complaining about it on the internet.

It really is a matter of common sense and common courtesy. And for some reason when it comes to competitions - not just gymnastics but many competitive sports - parents tend to forget that there are other people and children involved and all common decency goes out the window.

yes, talk to the people around you - but don't grill them. If the person you are talking to starts to video tape - yes, that's their daughter and not the best time to start a conversation about anything.

Cheer for your child - but don't scream at the top of your lungs. Honestly if everyone around you stops and turns to look at you - maybe you cheered to loud.

I don't consider myself a judgmental person. And I tend to give people the benefit of doubt. Maybe that's why the behavior bothers me.

I don't understand the whole anti-cheering thing that the gymnastics community has going on. Probably because I didn't grow up in the sport, but I don't know. The parents of our group cheer for our team. We cheer for each girl by name as they are waiting to start their turn on an event. In my opinion, we are not doing it an obnoxious way (we aren't ringing bells or anything, simply cheering), but I know that parents from other teams have made snarky comments about how you are only supposed to cheer for your own child. It just doesn't make sense to me, these are my daughter's best friends, why wouldn't I cheer for them? I've been told that it is completely different for boys' meets so I am curious to see if that is true when my son starts competing in a few months.

I don't understand the whole anti-cheering thing that the gymnastics community has going on. Probably because I didn't grow up in the sport, but I don't know. The parents of our group cheer for our team. We cheer for each girl by name as they are waiting to start their turn on an event. In my opinion, we are not doing it an obnoxious way (we aren't ringing bells or anything, simply cheering), but I know that parents from other teams have made snarky comments about how you are only supposed to cheer for your own child. It just doesn't make sense to me, these are my daughter's best friends, why wouldn't I cheer for them? I've been told that it is completely different for boys' meets so I am curious to see if that is true when my son starts competing in a few months.

I think one thing that makes gymnastics a little different... if you go to a soccer match, there is just one game going on at a time. When you cheer loudly for your gymnast, there are often three (or more) other kids competing at the same time. I am consistantly amazed by the amount of focus gymnasts have to block out all of the many distractions, but even so, I do think you have to be somewhat aware of that. Of course, clap and cheer. But it's the very loud whooping and calling out of names... throughout an entire routine and not just at the end... that I find annoying, especially when you have to hear it again when you go back to watch the videos! Also, you have to be careful. If anything you say can be construed as "coaching from the sidelines" (I've been told even things as simple as "Stick it!") could theoretically get you kicked out of the meet.

There is cheering and then there is CHEERING. It never fails at least half the meets I go to there is always one gym with parents that are cheering like they are trying to be heard from one end of the football field to another. I've been to several where I swear I'm going to go deaf from the yelling "Cheering".

This sport is one where you want to make sure the gymnasts aren't distracted when its their turn or they could really get hurt. With at least 3 other gymnasts on equipment (if 2 flights it could be as many as 7 other girls trying to consintrate) no one wants their cheering to be the cause for a life altering injury. My DD has specifically told me "Please don't yell my name when its my turn. It's too distracting" It's one thing to clap and do a quick "way to go" its another to go crazy like your yelling at your favorite football team during the superbowl.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back