Coaches rips and blisters

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

ValleyGymMom

My daughter gets alot of rips and blisters. It seems to me that she gets more than what would be considered normal for a gymnast. She is level 8 and works aggressively on bars. Wraps up and wears wrist bands as well. My question for you coaches is , is there something special she should be doing outside of pre-wrap and tape?? Her coaches aren't too concerned, just modifying her workout while she has fresh blisters and telling all the girls to wrap up properly. There has to be another way! Advice????

There are a few different things that may help prevent the gymnast from ripping too easily. Most are just preventive measure to keep their hands from being too soft.
1. No lotion or softeners for the hands
2. This is one the kids like. Don't do the dishes. If they must do dishes (my kids do) wear gloves to keep the hands from soaking so long.
3. Avoid long baths or showers.
I'm sure there are a lot more things that soften the skin we could add but these were just a few examples.
I have noticed that some kids rip often (once a week) some kids never rip. My daughter did giants with no grips, no chalk and water on her hand and never ripped. Other kids wear grips, tape under the grips and still manage to grip.

One other contributing factor is what I like to call the "Grip O' Death". This is the term I use when the kids hang on to the bar as if they would die if they let go. We would like for them to hold on just tight enough. I use the old .38 Special song "Hold on Loosely" but don't let go as my example in those cases. Basically, the tighter you hang on, the more friction there is between the hands and the bars.
Other things that enter into the equation are the skills they are doing as well as each time they work a new skill, they are more likely to go back to the death grip on the bar.

I was told years ago that you should cut the loose skin away and dab metholated spirits on the wound. Hurts like hell but it aides by drying the rip faster and toughening the new skin. I took it on because I used to use it if I started playing guitar after a long break to start hardening my finger tips more quickly.

If she gets a lot of blisters around the wrist, we used to put black electrical tape around the base of the hand/wrist. Then put wristbands over that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back