rips and blisters

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

ValleyGymMom

My level 8 daughter is always getting blisters. I know this is common but she seems to get more than her share. She tapes up and wears wristbands and grips but each week she gets at least one new oozing blister. Her hands look like she has been through a battle. Not to mention the pain. We put tea bags on them to speed healing and then ointment. My question is not what to do after she gets them but what more can she do to prevent them?? We have heard of using balloons under the tape, honestly I can't see how this can help. Her coaches just remind her to take extra time taping and wrapping, no one seems to have a solution. Any ideas? The most problematic area seems to be her wrists.

Hmmm, will her coaches let her take some time off bars? But DO NOT put cream on the rips, it only makes the hands softer, and easier to rip, I would suggest just drying her hands out so that the skin gets tougher in that area.

Actually you want to keep your hands moist. Follow these steps after practice on a regular basis:

1. wash your hands with warm soap and water, then dry.
2. take a nail file and file down the callouses
3. if you have rips then i would suggest putting neosporin on the rips directly
4. rub on hand lotion that contains vitamin E, make sure you are rubbing both sides of the hands as well as the wrist area. ( Vasaline, Hand E balm, ect.. works great)
5. if hands are really sore then you can wear socks over your hands with lotion on them as you sleep.

Hope this helps! Good luck keeping up with those hands, they sure go through beating in gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back