WAG Round off back handspring back tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I compete xcel gold and my first meet is coming up on the 10th-12th. I have 3 more practices until then.

I have a really nice ro-bhs (good form, high re-bound). Do you think it's realistic to get a round off back handspring back tuck before my meet, and be able to compete it? I'm very confident that I can do it. I have done it once before on floor with a spot, but that was a while ago. What do you all think?

Oh goodness. Can you just go look at the post about the tsuks a couple days ago? It will save everybody a lot of time of just saying the same thing again.
It's not worth it for one meet.
It's dangerous.
Your coach shouldn't be encouraging this if they are.
If you've only been spotted on it once then for some reason or another, your coach probably doesn't feel like you're ready for it..

This is up to your coach but if I were your coach, there'd be no way I would let you do it.
See, in order to be competition ready a skill and its dynamics need to be fully understood by your muscles, you never know what your brain is up to on meet day. Realistically that is not possible in 3 practices.
Stick to what you can solidly do, than work on the BT without time pressure and in a safe envoirement. ;)

I would go for it. About half the time peoples back handspring back tuck are better than just the back hand spring many gymnast I have seen have a massive rebound after there back handspring and go everywhere. Back tuck great way to fix it. I have competed skills that I have done maybe once before a meet I guess it just matters how important this meet is and if you want to go safe and clean or give it a go and see what happens. Good luck :)

So I compete xcel gold and my first meet is coming up on the 10th-12th. I have 3 more practices until then.

I have a really nice ro-bhs (good form, high re-bound). Do you think it's realistic to get a round off back handspring back tuck before my meet, and be able to compete it? I'm very confident that I can do it. I have done it once before on floor with a spot, but that was a while ago. What do you all think?

Can you do multiple good BHS in a row? If so, I would ask your coach if you feel confident. If you can do multiple and the back tuck doesn't go great, you can safely do what looks like a high BHS. I always encourage my girls to be courageous and confident, but at the end of the day it's probably your coach that knows best. Good luck.

You are competing Xcel Gold. You don't NEED the tuck on the end. Hold off on it until you can practice it and do it consistently. For this meet, stick with a pretty RO-BHS. Adding the tuck doesn't increase your score, so why chance "throwing" it when at best... it does nothing and at worst, you get injured and take a deduction?

I am available to answer any Xcel related questions and offer advice when i can :)

Can you do it on tumble track? If so, then quite possibly, yes, you could get it on floor in time. If you can't do it on tumbe track with decent form, then it isn't worth the risk, IMO.

sometimes these questions are exhausting...^^^LizzieLac, what are you talking about? a tumbl track is a trampoline device NOT a spring floor. you can't just make the transfer just like that. geesh.

Work on the back tuck like it's going into your routine the next meet, and every next meet after that until your coach says you'er ready. So set a goal that you will get to, but don't force yourself into a short time frame.

Great idea. Don't rush and possibly risk injury or developing a fear. Not doing it for this one meet won't matter - focus on doing everything you can to make it amazing in a month or two. :)

sometimes these questions are exhausting...^^^LizzieLac, what are you talking about? a tumbl track is a trampoline device NOT a spring floor. you can't just make the transfer just like that. geesh.
Not just like that, but if she can't do it there, she won't be able to do it on floor for quite some time. And, frankly, I have seen girls doing it on tumble track for weeks but were hesitant to take it to the floor. And the transition was an easy one.

I had a similar issue I really wanted to do a round-off back-handspring back tuck but I had only done it a couple of times on the floor and I really wanted to compete it. My coach said she thought I was ready and I didn't think so but when it was time to compete it, I just when for it and due to the peer pressure I stuck it! I felt so good and my coach was really proud so I say just go for it!

I would advise following the direction in which your coach feels is best, as he/she is doing what he/she feels is in your best interest. You have to remember we as coaches don't benefit from you not doing something, so it's fair to assume if we don't feel your ready it's because you aren't.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back