round off problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

okay.. so im having trouble with my round off! when i snapdown i don't get my feet together fast enough at the top so when i snap down they are apart and makes for a weird robhs. now, when my roundoff is fine when im not doing robhs, but when i go to do robhs i don't get them together fast enough. how can i fix this problem? i really need my robhs to move up to level five team. i have all my other skills, but this one!

Sounds like you probably aren't flipping over your round off enough. Practice round offs. Round offs round offs round offs. Do them on the line and do them up onto a panel mat. You should be able to get them to where your feet automatically snap together even when you do them onto the panel mat.
Once you can do that add on the bhs. You probably wont get it at first, so don't worry. Just make sure to practice. Push off your hands as much as you safely can into the bhs. It will also help add to speed.
Good luck!

You might also try squeezing your hamstrings together at the same time you are pushing to hollow off the floor. This will help turn the round off over and help get your upper body up so you have a better transition into the skill that follows. Your feet coming apart could be because the round off is still landing with your body weight in front of your feet and your body separates the feet for control or balance purposes automatically.
Good Luck!

It's a fairly common problem, however there's a simple solution.

Hunt down a panel mat (I don't know how tall you are) and start in a lunge on top of it, simply do a RO off of the panel mat (place your hands at the edge of the panel mat, your feet land off of it on the floor)

The extra height granted by the panel mat should give you enough time to land a "perfect" RO, the extra height will also give your chest/shoulders more time to rise.

When you can do it perfectly off of a panel mat, unfold the a panel from the stack and keep working your way down until you can do it on floor, this takes time so don't rush it, but it's the main way we fix the problem you described at our gym.

Also, work on handstand pops. Just saying.

thank you for the replies! @coach.simon - we have done thoses and i'll do it without the BHS connection but when i add the BHS i don't snap down?? ;/ i dont know why..

thank you for the replies! @coach.simon - we have done thoses and i'll do it without the BHS connection but when i add the BHS i don't snap down?? ;/ i dont know why..

I have good news for you.

In the amazingly detailed picture I have created below, I have painstakingly detailed the drill we use at our gym for cases such as yours.

it's truly a masterpiece.

Chances are you probably have done this drill, if you haven't - then i recommend it!

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back