Roundoff-Back Handspring- Going off of one foot?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in Xcel Silver for the summer, and training most of my gold skills (cartwheel on beam, kip, front handspring vault, etc.) and the one thing that was holding me back was my roundoff-back handspring. Regardless of whether I'm competing gold this year or not, it would be totally embarassing to compete cartwheel-roundoff again as my tumbling pass. I feel like I can't really call myself a gymnast unless I get my back handspring, and I'm determined to compete it. I can do the actual skill by myself, but it's so ugly. I do this weird thing where I go off of one foot and my right leg (I'm a rightie if that helps) just whips up in the air. The rest of the back handspring is fine, and I don't know how to fix it! My coach hasn't really been any help, she just tells me what I'm doing wrong, but not how to fix it. I can do a standing back handspring on a wedge/floor, and it's fine. All I want is to get that stupid tumbling pass and have it be good for the meet season :(

It might be that you're not landing your roundoff with your feet together? Maybe try doing a round off then pause for a second and do a back handspring just to make sure that you're pushing off of both feet. Then you can work on speeding it up.

I like th idea of working on a cartwheel step-in back handspring. Try to increase your speed gradually over the course of three practice sessions until the cartwheel is about as fast as you can get it with good technique. Spend time working on a step hurdle round off during those three practices. Starting with one step instead of a run will slow things down and force you to work with good technique, and that's a good thing. On the fourth practice you can try a round off back handspring and see if the work did some good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back