Safe or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am starting gymnastics in a week and i want to be able to do a back walkover by next week. And i wont have a spotter. I will be doing it down a short hill in my back yard. I am scared, because i dont know if it is safe or not. If it is safe i will try it. I have been trying back walkovers off of ( about ) 3 and a half foot bed.

Is it safe or not to do it without a spotter first time? And should i start practicing on a 2 foot bed instead of doing it on a ( short/ kind of steep ) hill?

No it is not safe. You need a spotter and you need to have the flexibility to do it without hurting your back. It takes quite a while to be able to do one safely.

I'm confused about how you do a walkover off a 3 foot bed - do you mean a bridge kickover? I wouldn't do it down a hill in the back yard. Why do you need to have gymnastics skills before you start gymnastics class? Isn't that what you are going there to learn?

Not safe, especially down a hill! Why don't you just practice your bridges until you start your gym class? That's something you can do at home safely.

i have done a back walkover in level 3 1 year ago ( before i quit ). And i am starting up in level 4. So i need my back walkover.

Leave gymnastics in the gym. If you had it before you will probably get it back quickly.

don't do a back walkover down a hill - i've been doing them for about 10 years (i'm 18 and learnt when I was 8) I would not do them down a hill. I will admit I did them out of the gym when I quit for four years but NEVER down a hill and that was after I had absolutely mastered the back walkover in the gym.

I have a firm belief that if you have not mastered a skill in the gym you should not even be attempting them at home

They will teach you a back walkover if you can't in level 4

i have done a back walkover in level 3 1 year ago ( before i quit ). And i am starting up in level 4. So i need my back walkover.

In level 4, you do a handstand to a bridge kickover, not a back walkover. There is a BIG difference.

It is still not safe to do a back walkover down a steep hill. A Kickover would be safe to do on a mattress on the floor though.

In level 4, you do a handstand to a bridge kickover, not a back walkover. There is a BIG difference.

It is still not safe to do a back walkover down a steep hill. A Kickover would be safe to do on a mattress on the floor though.

that's all you need? dummy me...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back