Parents School Schedule Issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I too agree that rudimentary music (and art and drama) should be taught at some point. OP had mentioned that her DD had taken choir before so with that in mind I assumed that it wasn't "academically crucial" that she take it this year. :)
In our school district, the kids in middle school get 4 electives each. PE takes up one, as does health, so in essence they are left with 2 they can actually choose. In some cases, like my older DD, they can actually opt out of PE and get to choose another elective instead. This year (7th grade) my DDs electives are art, drama, health, technology, costumer science and something else. The first two take a whole semester each, the others only a quarter (which is why more than 4 are listed). If your child chooses orchestra, that takes place at zero hour which in our district is 7am, regular school starts at 7:50.

My gymmie takes choir in elementary school and that meets before school as well, 7:50 as opposed to regular school start time of 8:40. Their orchestra does the same thing.

Have you heard back about getting it changed? i would totally ask to have it switched as she wasn't all that interested in choir in the first place and it has required attendance outside of school of which you were unaware. (and, sheesh, their punishment for missing a concert seems a bit excessive!)

Have you heard back about getting it changed? i would totally ask to have it switched as she wasn't all that interested in choir in the first place and it has required attendance outside of school of which you were unaware. (and, sheesh, their punishment for missing a concert seems a bit excessive!)

I emailed her guidance counselor yesterday afternoon as soon as I read the contract and spoke to DD. I copied the choir teacher on the email as well. I haven't heard back from either yet. The school can't afford full time counselor so she will not be back in her office until next Tuesday, but I am hoping the teacher will either answer me directly or guide me to a person working this week who can help.

I emailed her guidance counselor yesterday afternoon as soon as I read the contract and spoke to DD. I copied the choir teacher on the email as well. I haven't heard back from either yet. The school can't afford full time counselor so she will not be back in her office until next Tuesday, but I am hoping the teacher will either answer me directly or guide me to a person working this week who can help.
I would go into the office with her and ask who to speak to. Waiting until the counselor is back means she keep attending a class she is hoping to transfer out of and she's missing time in the other class.

I would go into the office with her and ask who to speak to. Waiting until the counselor is back means she keep attending a class she is hoping to transfer out of and she's missing time in the other class.

Sorry for the double post, everything froze when i was trying to post. I'm surprised it even posted once, let alone twice.

That was good advice, SCE, thank you! I called and spoke to a different 8th grade counselor, and they had me forward my email to them. She said that she would see what she could be transferred into instead, and that her goal would be to have it handled today, but definitely before the end of the week. She also said she completely understood the confusion and that she is glad we are trying to handle it so quickly. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Just wanted to update that they were able to switch her. Starting Friday her second elective will be school service, which means during that hour she will volunteer in the school office and/or library, or assist a teacher with special projects. She is going to love that- she volunteered with a few of her previous teachers and felt very accomplished at the end of the year.

YAY! That was easy. I am glad the school was willing to work with you!

I am glad this worked out, and I love the idea of a school service program.

However, I'm kind of shocked at the policy of the choir class teacher (especially since it appears that kids are assigned to this, rather than signing up). I grew up in a pretty economically challenged area, and many of us had to work after school, so that our families had enough money to function. I worked about 35 hours a week in high school (and much more in the summer). A program like that would be a significant hardship for a kid in that situation...and a huge grade hit would make matters worse, by lowering the kid's GPA and making it tougher to get scholarships, for the very kids who need them most. I am not a fan of required school activities that screw up kids' schedules for that reason. The kids who are most impacted by something like this are the same kids who don't necessarily have an on-the-ball parent who can contact the school and request an alternative.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back