Parents School schedule: wwyd?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Also, if I do ask to pick her up a little early, who do I ask? Just her teacher? Sorry if this is a stupid question..she's my first to go into the school system! This is all new to me!

I would ask to speak with her teacher first....if she/ he doesn't have an issue with an early dismissal then it should be fine. My girls were dismissed an hour early for their entire elementary ( K-8) years....at the beginning of each school year I would talk to their teachers about the fact that I would be picking them up at 2 pm every day...the teachers would adjust the day's schedule so that the core classes were not in that last hour. And In Talking with their teachers over the years, they all said that my girls were always prepared and on top of things, more so than some who sat in the class until day's end.
Administration never had an issue with the early dismissal either because I used to just come in, wait for them to come down at the designated time, and we left.

The fact that your school is dismissing at a much later time should help your argument.

Ugh. Yes, long school day for a 5 year old!!!! I assume they stagger the dismissal tines for school busses. If that's the case, there is a campus right by my sons daycare..literally next door..that would be so rediculously convenient.. i assume it would get out earlier if the tines are staggered. I wonder if it would be ok to request to be a trickle student to that school if this one becomes to full...that would be wonderful with or without gymnastics in the equation!(saves a 10 min drive) and its supposedly a little bit better if a school.

If not, then yes..I can't imagine they would be doing much more than getting back packs ready the last 10 min. So maybe that would work.
Ask. All they can do is say no....but at least you'll know your options.

How close is her school to your gym? If it's a closeby/local school w/ a lot of kids who attend your gym, your gym may be adjusting to a later schedule as well since they have a lot of customers in your same situation. I know my DDs gym takes the schedules of about 4
key school districts into account when they do their class times each year because probably about 80% of their customers go to them.

Before I'd get too upset, I'd discuss what your school told you w/ someone at the gym to see what they think.

The gym is 35 min away. We live in a rural town 40 min outside the city. There is a closer, very small gym, where several of the families go. I'm not sure if any other kids in our town go to this gym, but definately worth looking into!

How close is her school to your gym? If it's a closeby/local school w/ a lot of kids who attend your gym, your gym may be adjusting to a later schedule as well since they have a lot of customers in your same situation. I know my DDs gym takes the schedules of about 4
key school districts into account when they do their class times each year because probably about 80% of their customers go to them.

Before I'd get too upset, I'd discuss what your school told you w/ someone at the gym to see what they think.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There may be a good possibility the gym may push the start time back next year if a lot of their gymnasts are affected by this. If not, I would have a chat with the school and tell them how important this is to your dd and I would hope they would be willing to work around you, considering the recent change in schedule. Our schools let out at 2:30 around here in elementary school, I can't imagine a school day going until 4:00 for children that young! :(

Also, if I do ask to pick her up a little early, who do I ask? Just her teacher? Sorry if this is a stupid question..she's my first to go into the school system! This is all new to me!
Those are questions for you to ask of the school and the teacher.

There is no standard policy. It can change by lots of things the logistics of the building, the principal etc....

Our school prefers something in writing, that way they have documentation.

Notice helps, leaving early is disruptive to the flow of the class, if the teacher has notice its more manageable. Really in Kindy its probably not much of an issue for what they are doing, but as they get older it is. Are they at a special. Is it math time your kid is leaving during and walking across a room to pack up can be disruptive. Having the kid pack up during a break because you know is much better.

However dealing with kids leaving at all different times can be an issue with Kindys. One teacher for a couple of dozen kids. Its much easier to say Ok now we are packing and checking backpacks. Do you all have a, b, c,. Ok get your lunch boxes and jackets........... To do that individually would be impossible. Much easier with older kids who can read, have planners and have been doing the pack up thing for a few years.

My long winded way of saying.....

I talk directly with my kids teacher. And I ask him/her what I can do to make things the least disruptive.

We've had this problem since my dd started team 2 1/2 years ago and, unfortunately, I can say that none of these ideas have worked at our school. Practice starts at 4:00 and school gets out at 3:45. They won't let you check out after 3:15, and won't let you check out early regularly. The only walkers allowed must live within 1 mile of the school, which we don't. So, we do the best we can and are late. :( I arrive about 30 minutes early for carpool which still doesn't get us out of the parking lot until 3:50-3:55. We get to the gym about 4:15. She doesn't like being late, but it is what it is. Next level there is a good chance the practice will change to 3:30 (&$*#!) and then she'll be 45 minutes late. I think it sucks, but what can you do?

It really does depend on the school though. Most of dd's teammates go to schools that do let them check out early or do the walker thing to avoid carpool. My dd just happens to attend a school where they do not allow those things. I agree that you need to speak to your dd's school and ask them. Good luck!

Our schools let out at 2:30 around here in elementary school, I can't imagine a school day going until 4:00 for children that young! :(

What time do they start, though? Our elementary school goes until 4 but doesn't start until 9:15. My son gets home late from practice (often 9 or later) twice a week, so the late start lets him get more sleep.

On balance, I'd probably prefer school go more like 8-3, but we've been able to make the schedule work for many years. Having my DD move to middle school next year (7:30-2:30) is going to be a big adjustment!

We've had this problem since my dd started team 2 1/2 years ago and, unfortunately, I can say that none of these ideas have worked at our school. Practice starts at 4:00 and school gets out at 3:45. They won't let you check out after 3:15, and won't let you check out early regularly. The only walkers allowed must live within 1 mile of the school, which we don't. So, we do the best we can and are late. :( I arrive about 30 minutes early for carpool which still doesn't get us out of the parking lot until 3:50-3:55. We get to the gym about 4:15. She doesn't like being late, but it is what it is. Next level there is a good chance the practice will change to 3:30 (&$*#!) and then she'll be 45 minutes late. I think it sucks, but what can you do?

It really does depend on the school though. Most of dd's teammates go to schools that do let them check out early or do the walker thing to avoid carpool. My dd just happens to attend a school where they do not allow those things. I agree that you need to speak to your dd's school and ask them. Good luck!

This is encouraging!!! I was afraid that if she was 15+ min late, she'd end up
Not being allowed in the compition class, but sounds like its still possible!!! Thanks!!!

I honestly would NOT talk to the school administration first. Figure out what your best options are by talking to a lot of parents about dismissal options. Once you to to the principal, if s/he says no, you will have a hard time going back to negotiate something. You do not want to go in there without information and be told that the answer is no.

My kids' school requires all early dismissals to be signed out at the office, and they track them. You can't just pick up from the classroom without the office knowing. I highly doubt they would allow an early dismissal every day, and the recently started not allowing any early dismissals in the last 30 minutes of school anyway.

Some good news… I just talk to the counselor, and asked about Requesting to be one of the students that trickle to another elementary In the case of a school overflow. She said it is absolutely not a problem and if I want to request it, I can go ahead and not wait to be part of the overflow. She said it is really easy and they usually allow you to do so. No, I am going to request that she be placed in the school that is by my subs daycare, which is a good 10 minutes closer to the gym as well.

It looks like from the website that they are switching dismissal times For all of the schools next year… Middle and high school will be released at 3:15, where as all elementaries will be released at 3:45. So, she will still be late, but not as late… And she can easily walk from the day care to the school In less than one minute so that is just amazing Rather gymnastics for part of the equation or not! LOL!

Also, I know several parents that attend this particular elementary school, so I will be able to get a feel for dismissal process to figure out the best thing to do without talking to teachers/admin first. Thank you all so much for your advice!

What time do they start, though? Our elementary school goes until 4 but doesn't start until 9:15. My son gets home late from practice (often 9 or later) twice a week, so the late start lets him get more sleep.

On balance, I'd probably prefer school go more like 8-3, but we've been able to make the schedule work for many years. Having my DD move to middle school next year (7:30-2:30) is going to be a big adjustment!

They go 8-2:30 here for elementary school. Even high school lets out at 3:30.

Some good news… I just talk to the counselor, and asked about Requesting to be one of the students that trickle to another elementary In the case of a school overflow. She said it is absolutely not a problem and if I want to request it, I can go ahead and not wait to be part of the overflow. She said it is really easy and they usually allow you to do so. No, I am going to request that she be placed in the school that is by my subs daycare, which is a good 10 minutes closer to the gym as well.

It looks like from the website that they are switching dismissal times For all of the schools next year… Middle and high school will be released at 3:15, where as all elementaries will be released at 3:45. So, she will still be late, but not as late… And she can easily walk from the day care to the school In less than one minute so that is just amazing Rather gymnastics for part of the equation or not! LOL!

Also, I know several parents that attend this particular elementary school, so I will be able to get a feel for dismissal process to figure out the best thing to do without talking to teachers/admin first. Thank you all so much for your advice!

Great news! Hopefully it works out for her to switch to that one!

I honestly would NOT talk to the school administration first. Figure out what your best options are by talking to a lot of parents about dismissal options. Once you to to the principal, if s/he says no, you will have a hard time going back to negotiate something. You do not want to go in there without information and be told that the answer is no.

My kids' school requires all early dismissals to be signed out at the office, and they track them. You can't just pick up from the classroom without the office knowing. I highly doubt they would allow an early dismissal every day, and the recently started not allowing any early dismissals in the last 30 minutes of school anyway.

No child can be taken out of school without being signed out. So its not like administration won't know or find out. They also have to have a policy. It is OK to ask what that policy is.

Also most schools have most of this information on their websites these days, which is a good place to start.

Another option would be to move her to a private school where you may have teachers and administrators who would be willing to work with you on this...
There actually aren't any private schools in our area..you have to drive into the city, which just wouldn't work out because of the distance from where we work.:(

I have to pull out my daughter early a few times a week from school for gym and it has worked best for us to speak with the teacher first and once she's approved it, then let the secretary in the office know. In my experience, usually if your child is a good student and isn't behind in anything they are more likely to work with you (as long as it stays that way). DD wears a watch on the days she leaves early. It has an alarm set and beeps quietly when it's time for her to go. This way there isn't an interrupting call through the intercom into the classroom each time and the teacher doesn't have to remember to remind her to go. She knows to just pack up and leave and the teacher knows where she's going and it's all very seamless and non disruptive for the others in class. The watch was the best plan... even the secretary appreciates that it takes none of her time for me to check out DD those days. I just sign her out and wave if the secretary is busy. It works great for us. I hope you can figure out a plan that works for you and your DD!

I have to pull out my daughter early a few times a week from school for gym and it has worked best for us to speak with the teacher first and once she's approved it, then let the secretary in the office know. In my experience, usually if your child is a good student and isn't behind in anything they are more likely to work with you (as long as it stays that way). DD wears a watch on the days she leaves early. It has an alarm set and beeps quietly when it's time for her to go.

Love that. Little late for this school year, but next year............... Woo Hoo

Great news in the possibility of the other school.

A note on the schools that don't allow dismissal at certain times... Our school has that policy; but as I mentioned, when my kids are in PT I have needed to get them a bit before dismissal. I asked the front office what I should do, should I just get them out 35 minutes early instead of the 15 minutes I actually need? They told me that they actually can't enforce the rule, that I can get my kids from school anytime I want, kind of with a wink. They then said it would be better for my kids, if it was sort of regular, to do the 15 minutes despite the rule. So that is what I do.

Also, definitely find out the policy on which group gets to go first. For our school, "walkers/walk up car riders" go the same time as the first bus kids. I have to get to the school before the car line gets too long so that I can get in a parking place; but I can have my kid and be on our way before the first car rider kid is in their car.

You could also have a conversation with the school administration about gymnastics. The primary goals of kindergarten are to give kids a warm fuzzy about school early on, provide socialization skills, get them used to a scheduled agenda, and since 2008 provide foundational reading and math skills. Given that gymnastics provides socialization, attention, focus, rule following, and socialization in spades... they may work with you to provide an even more comfortable time pad, that will shorten up the combined day for your 5yo. Good luck!

Kindergarten is the new first grade. It is super academic now (I'm a teacher). That being said, usually the core subjects are in the morning or early afternoon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back