WAG score of 4.5 on level 4 floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My Level 10 scored a 5 on bars and still won first place. LOL! She refused to tell anyone she won.
Ok, that's awesome. When my girl was a lvl4, she too scored a 5 on bars, but it was due to a major shakeup on the warmup....her feet slipped on the squat on and she hit her private parts, one after the other, and then her face on the bar before flying off...she was given the option of scratching. Coach even brought her to me. I said honey it's fine, you don't do this sport for me, I do not care (we later found out she was bleeding in a certain area....omg)....well, touching the bar and saluting didn't work for her. So she competed. Did everything but it was beyond ugly. What a fighter though! To this day it is my favorite routine.

Ok, that's awesome. When my girl was a lvl4, she too scored a 5 on bars, but it was due to a major shakeup on the warmup....her feet slipped on the squat on and she hit her private parts, one after the other, and then her face on the bar before flying off...she was given the option of scratching. Coach even brought her to me. I said honey it's fine, you don't do this sport for me, I do not care (we later found out she was bleeding in a certain area....omg)....well, touching the bar and saluting didn't work for her. So she competed. Did everything but it was beyond ugly. What a fighter though! To this day it is my favorite routine.
Can't "like" this - it doesn't feel right. But oh wow - a true fighter. To compete after that is incredible.
We once had a girl fly off bars on a low bar clear hip... Remount and continue her L6 routine. Went to do her high bar clear hip - flew off again (or rather over) and managed to grab the bar with one hand on the way down. She did a quick under swing dismount, saluted the judges, and went to the bathroom (her hand ripped on the grab). It was actually her highest score of the year because they gave her credit for a B skill.

Let me ask you, do you see gyms out there who compete their kids at higher levels as part of some strategy to promote younger kids competing at higher levels for some kind of status thing? (Which is kind of self-defeating if they don't have the skills to match)
I've seen it with a few gyms. They want to get their kids to Optionals and the L10 as quickly as possible. It's sometimes terrifying to watch. I would not want my daughter moving up a level if her highest score was near the USAG minimum (unless there were extenuating circumstance like an injury or something). It just doesn't seem safe and would not be all that fun for the kids. No matter how much you like gymnastics, nobody likes to lose.

Let me ask you, do you see gyms out there who compete their kids at higher levels as part of some strategy to promote younger kids competing at higher levels for some kind of status thing? (Which is kind of self-defeating if they don't have the skills to match)

Yes we see it. Our gym coaches, don't sandbag. But cusp kids, could do a level higher but very weak. Those kids stay back a level. Coaches feel it is better for them to a have more successful year at the lower level then struggle at the higher. They really don't want them doing weak skills and getting trounced, they feel it is too disheartening to the kid.

Again more successful doesn't necessarily mean top places. Depending on the kid it could mean, middle of pack at lower level vs bottom of higher level.

As I observe, I know i'm wrong, but i thought there was a courtesy score of 6.00? It may be of 4.00, or im completely wrong...
Just your experience but no, I have seen scores less than 3. And she earned it, wouldn't of been fair to give her a 6 for walking off the floor. There are kids who actually did enough to score around a 6

There was a 2.0 on bars in our session last Sunday. I didn't see the routine, just noticed it when looking up scores for my dd.

Courtesy score of 4.0 in Xcel. 1.0 in JO.

I think you can get a 0.0 in JO if you balk on all 3 vault attempts or attempt and can't get over. Unless it changed and I'm forgetting.. In AAU there are no 0.0s, courtesy score of 3.0.

Gymdog, I had to laugh at your "back in the day" comment, because I've heard the same thing from my friend who was elite in the 80s. She said no one got 9s, no matter how good they were. [emoji23][emoji4]

I think you can get a 0.0 in JO if you balk on all 3 vault attempts or attempt and can't get over. Unless it changed and I'm forgetting.. In AAU there are no 0.0s, courtesy score of 3.0.

Correct! You can still get a 0 if you balk on all 3 vault attempts or you "scratch" an event. If you start a bar, beam, or floor routine however - you get at least a 1.0. It's newish.

I once had a gymnast I get a 0.175 on beam. If you want a challenge, figure out how she got that score. I think she was an old level 5 (now level 4).

Correct! You can still get a 0 if you balk on all 3 vault attempts or you "scratch" an event. If you start a bar, beam, or floor routine however - you get at least a 1.0. It's newish.

I once had a gymnast I get a 0.175 on beam. If you want a challenge, figure out how she got that score. I think she was an old level 5 (now level 4).
I remember you telling this story! :p

A JO optional gymnast who was injured on the first floor tumbling pass and couldn't continue- and hadn't completed any of the requirements - that is an example of how someone gets a courtesy score of 1.

Gymdog, I had to laugh at your "back in the day" comment, because I've heard the same thing from my friend who was elite in the 80s. She said no one got 9s, no matter how good they were. [emoji23][emoji4]

I think Jen Sey (former national champion) claims she got an AA score in the single digits once at a class 4 meet. I have no reason not to believe that happened, lol.

One of our gymmies scored a 1.7 on a L4 floor routine 2 seasons ago. She had only been a L4 for a couple of weeks. It was beyond heartbreaking to see her forget the routine not long after starting and run off the floor in tears. I swear us parents were offering to buy her a pony if she would just cheer up.

My dd's teammate got a 5.2 on floor last weekend. She did all the skills, but they were rough, robhsbhs, not connected etc. the judges took along time to come up with the score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back