WAG Scores not improving when repeating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wanted to add my personal experience on the matter. Last fall my DD competed old 5 and it was a struggle for her. While she could "do" everything, her form was definitely not up to par. Then half way though our season, she got a mental block on her squat on on the bars which resulted in her coach physically lifting her to the high bar- ended up scoring a few 5/6s on that event! ouch!! The highest AA she got was a 33.2 for the whole season and she never got higher than a 9 on any event.

This Fall, she did new 4 (so same level) and it made a HUGE difference! Her form was night and day and she has the squat on down! In fact, at every meet she scored in the 9s on the bars (as well as beam/floor0 and high 8s on vault! Her highest AA this year was a 36.8!! Big difference! She worked very hard during this year and I think she definitely matured between ages 8 & 9!! And, because she worked so hard, they put her on a fast track and she will go right into another season but this time doing the new 5!!

I have to say I wasn't too happy about her repeating old5/new 4 but it definitely was in her best interest! And, I even acknowledged to her HC that yes, he was right and I was wrong! Now, I leave all the important decisions up to the coaches because they know them best (in gymnastics at least)! Live and learn! ;)

This is so interesting to me. Mary, my dd sounds a lot like yours. It takes her forever to get skills. Last year she repeated 5 because she was super weak on bars. She repeated with two other girls and of the three, my dd and one of the other girls took 1st or 2nd AA at every meet with AA in the 36/37 range. The year before her highest AA was 35 ish. We were crossing our fingers at every meet that she would get at least one medal. We saw so much improvement in the repeating year.

The third girl did not have as great of a season, but she had also taken a break and had been dealing with some injury issues.

I've definitely seen it both ways too. It sure is discouraging for those repeaters who don't score better, though :(

My older DD repeated L8, she did not improve the 2nd year due to a variety of reasons. It was very disheartening to a 12/13 year old. Little Monkey repeated L5 and scored well, but she was much younger and in a learning/growing phase.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back