MAG scoring question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Well, kind of. Didn't really know what to call this one.

So, D's front giants are kind of flighty. They like to show up one day, and then disappear for a few. He has a meet on Friday night. Is it better for him to just go for it and see what happens (always my first choice), or to leave them out and take the deduction for missing a skill? we are lookign at at least one fall, possibly 2 before he gets around. That is, unless they decide to return from vacation this week ;)

My personal theory would be to see if they are there in warm-ups... if not leave them out! the 1-2 falls and the form deductions would probably be more than the missing skill deduction.

Every meet from now until states is a warmup for states. If he misses this time, he'll just be that much more motivated to get 'em next time. Go for it! (Though WAG people should know that for the guys, a fall is a point.)

What's his coach say? Last year our boys coach had the boys try all bonuses/skills in warm-ups, but not go for them in competition if not hitting them....for bonuses at least. In my experience (3 kids competing for 3 years now) they are usually asked to try any skills that are base skills for that level, if they are safe and close to getting/getting them inconsistently. Lots of times my kids have nailed skills at meets that were inconsistent at practices...I'm certainly hoping that happens with DDs giants this year, and younger DSs kip....

Its true falls are 1 pt, but depending upon what bonuses your DS is doing, that might not be "that much" of a deduction....and isn't progression to next level of skill more the goal anyway?

DS's primary coach is interesting -- he will let a boy try an inconsistent bonus skill if it is inconsistent but with good form. If it's consistent but with bad form, no way! When DS competed his spindle on mushroom for the first time, he fell and was pretty ticked at himself, but the coach just shrugged and said, he'll get it next time. And he did.

But with base routines, they all do everything as long as they are safe, even if some of the skills are horribly inconsistent. Last year, all the L5s tried that darn kip at every meet, even though I think not quite half of them got the kip-cast bonus at states and even the kip was pretty hopeless for a couple of them. Everybody tried to hit the handstands on P bars, even though several guys had to roll out at different meets.

Hopefully the giants will catch up with him before Friday, though!

this is a base skill so I guess we will see. HC is out of town, and I am just not sure how it will play out. HOpefully they do decide to reappear before Friday night....

this is boys gymnastics. you do it as long as it is safe. the judges hammer you for no effort. not for effort. that's in girls gymnastics. :)

Well, he went for it. Not sure if he was rewarded or not. It can only get better...I hope! Here is what the result of that was:

well, looks about a 6.0. AND he made his giants. that's really all that matters. :)

It was a 4.7. And he DID make them ;) That is what he is building on. (and technically he stuck his dismount, so that is good too ;))

The HB judge was tough all day! will ya do one more for me? we are trying to figure this one out.

sorry, i can't help you on this one. but after execution 10.2. thinking of our boys, i think there needs to a change of direction. i regret this is the one event i don't know the requirements, i only coach the mechanics. :)

bummer. the judge said he had a 1 pt composition error but he can't find it. I pulled up the text for him too, but he still couldn't find it. I am sure his coach will, but he is dying to know. He got a 9.6 on it. gotta straighten that body out!! LOL!

What change of direction do you think?

He is short an uphill circle. (It should be 2 circles before the 1/4 kehre out) 1.0 for missing part. The right hand needs to move fwd rather than the left hand backward. With that deduction, the score should probably be somewhat less. I think that 9.6 is actually a bit generous. Kudos for staying on and throwing the magyar however!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back