Parents She did it! Overcoming Fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
I am sooooooooo pleased to be able to post this, but after 3 long years of being terrified to go backwards, DD got her standing BHS yesterday :D

Once she got it, she then did it 20+ times to make sure it stuck. Everyone was so massively pleased for her (teammates and coaches) as they all know what a struggle it's been for her so it was a real celebration when she finally managed it (and with pretty good form too). She is now determined to connect it to her RO and compete it at the end of May.

I was talking to her last night after training about it, and she told me she thinks that finally getting rid of that fear will help with everything else she's struggling with as the rest isn't half as scary as that, and she just needs to believe in herself and go for it :)

That's brilliant - Well done to her for sticking it through and not giving up.
One of my first posts on here was down to my dd having an issue with her bhs. It seemed to take forever and she was so frustrated. Your dd is right, it does seem to open up a world of possibilities once they have that skill, even if she only believes that will happen it's a good start.
You would never know my daughter had been stuck on this skill to look at her now - she is a very strong tumbler.

Congratulations to her! I know a lot of gymnasts get a mental block when it comes to back tumbling. So glad she worked through it.

Congrats to your dd! It's so hard on them when they are struggling with a skill that appears to come so easily to everyone else. It's a major testament to her perseverance to stick with it. She should be very proud of herself!

Well done on overcoming the fear, my daughter still hasn't got her back handspring, she is so close, she can do one with a light touch on her back and also do a round of back handspring with a spot (still early stages with that one), my daughters big fear recently was doing cartwheels on beam, she has now got over that.

Congrats to her! My DDs are both fearful gymnasts and I know how exciting it can be to see them push past that. My younger DD was SO happy to conquer a fear she had that I couldn't help but be swept into her happiness, and she was only doing the skill on tumble trak (it's about three levels above where she competes on floor).

I swear it ages the children before their time...:oops:

Definitely, and the parents!
I'm just hoping that come next training that it's stuck and she can just do it without thinking (as she said earlier she doesn't know what was going through her head at the time that just made it happen)

Congrats to your DD for sticking with this and for overcoming this fear. I have a gymnast who seems to take 1 step forward 2 steps back because of fear, and I know how hard it can be to watch. So happy for all of you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back