Short Sleeved Leos for Competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The HC asked me if I knew any rules prohibiting wearing short sleeved leos at competitions. At first I though she meant sleeveless, because there aren't a ton of short sleeved leos available, but the more I think about the more I think that's what she meant. I think the leos are coming from a dance company too, so it makes sense.
Anyway, I know the Ukraine has worn them at international events before, but am wondering if the JO rules say anything about it. I'd like to get back to her ASAP, so any and all info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the info from the USAG site
I. Present herself in the proper attire (No bare midriffs, backless leotards,​
leotards with “spaghetti” straps, T-shirts
or Boxer shorts). NO underwear (including sport bras) should be exposed. The leg opening on competitive
leotards must NOT be cut or rolled above the gymnast's hipbone. A deduction for inappropriate attire will be
applied for any infraction. Sleeveless leotards
and unitards, as well as gymnastics footwear, are permitted for

competition. Leotard and/or warm-up uniform should be worn for opening, award, and closing ceremonies.

Our L4's wear tank leotards (sleeveless, I guess....not spaghetti straps, just your basic tank leo). We are one of the only gyms who does not wear long sleeves for competitions, but as far as I know there is no deduction for this.

I'm not sure what leos she is looking at for sure, I was a little confused by the question and why they would be getting short sleeved leos... I'll have to dig for some more details but thanks for the info you have provided! I'll send it to her in an e-mail.

Back in the 70s my club leo was short sleeved! My dd really likes the 3/4 length sleeves that just cover her elbows. She says the really long sleeves are irritating especially with handguards on. Sometimes it is nice to be different!

LOVE 3/4 sleeves. So much more flattering, IMO. Even my long sleeved ones I always roll up to about a 3/4 length.

I've very much a fan of proper short sleeves leos too. Milano had some interesting styles like that.
I'd be surprised if USAG had a special rule for that, but outside the USAG bubble there definitely is no such thing.

Short sleeved leotards are allowed at competitions, but the sleeves must be at least 2 cms think (a little less than an inch).

i personally like the 3/4 slevves but shortt sleeves are aloowed at comp. i remeber in compusaries we would where are short sleeve leos in spring and are long sleeve ones in fall for state and stuff. are short sleeve were just simple but know are gym doesnt compete spring just fall and the only meet they compete in the spring is the meet we host. it is allowed i would ask what your team feels about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back