WAG Shorts at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you have to compete in a Leotard then working out in one everyday will make you completely comfortable in it. The last thing I want is a child getting ready to salute the judge and thinking about how they look, instead of what they need to do. That is why some coaches (including our gym) want kids in Leotards on a daily basis. Obviously if its cold out we let them wear body armor shirts/ pants,, but being in Southern CA..... well.... it was 91 here yesterday! :) And yes our teens wear Leo's every day, no shorts, no problems = a strong mind at meets.
Our gym is a leo only gym as well...no problems at all when it comes to meet season.

The team girls can wear shorts while they stretch, and then they must be taken off. Leos only. They do have team leggings that they wear during stretch at competitions, but then they come off until the end of the meet.

Leos and shorts during practice for our girls, shorts aren't mandatory or anything. One of the male coaches ( he's older probably in his mid 60's) said he would feel more comfortable spotting the girls if they wore shorts, and it's been that way since he started coaching at the gym (a very long time ago).

I don't think anyone wears leggings to train accept my girls, they say it's nice on the cold days.

As for competitions the girls are aloud to wear their shorts for warm up and in between the events, but take them off for competing, although a lot of the girls just don't bother and go with out.

One girl at our last competition actually did her first vault with her shorts on, nobody noticed except for her teammates sitting in the stands, we don't think the judges notice either because she still got a good score.

Personally I think it's better for them to wear shorts/leggings for certain training exercises and ask the parents to send them. We require them to be tight. We've never had a problem with meets

Our gym is a leo only gym as well...no problems at all when it comes to meet season.

I did want to mention that the gym does allow leggings on the cold days....but only for warmth reasons. Shorts are still not ok as far as I know...

Are the parents really that dense. Never mind, clearly yes

Our gym has a huge rec program and the things you see kids in! But we're in pre team and all the girls wear leos...except one who still regularly comes in a skirted ballet leo. It does seem like it has the potential to be dangerous.

I have seriously seen kids come in in princess dresses. I am like, how is she supposed to do anything in that!!!?

Our gym has a huge rec program and the things you see kids in! But we're in pre team and all the girls wear leos...except one who still regularly comes in a skirted ballet leo. It does seem like it has the potential to be dangerous.

I have seriously seen kids come in in princess dresses. I am like, how is she supposed to do anything in that!!!?

Dress in gymnastics is important with regards to safety, dress code, improper dress, no participation. Our gym requires gymnastics shoes for practice, no shoes, no practice.

Dress in gymnastics is important with regards to safety, dress code, improper dress, no participation. Our gym requires gymnastics shoes for practice, no shoes, no practice.

Requires gymnatics shoes? No bare feet? That is a new one to me! We have some kids that wear them for different reasons, but they are not required.

Requires gymnatics shoes? No bare feet? That is a new one to me! We have some kids that wear them for different reasons, but they are not required.
Yep, no bare feet in the gym or street footwear. I realize bare feet are not a safety issue and the kids can and do go bare feet at meets, but not allowed in our coach/owner gym.

That's a new one. I had an argument with a nine year old because she kept going to the bathroom at a Fast food restaurant ( taking a break from the indoor play ground) in her bare feet. That's just gross. Then I realized they do it at gym and I'm not sure it's any cleaner there.

MY DS had a boy in his rec class who regularly arrived in a princess dress, he refused to remove it, the coaches used to tuck it into his shorts or he had to sit at the side (which he did regularly having a tantrum because he wanted to do gym in his dress), no idea why the parent didn't make him take it off before leaving the house or at least before entering the gym after the first occasion :confused:

Oh and back on topic - sorry.
Our rec side prefers shorts with leos but basically almost anything goes (no jewellery, jeans or skirts), the team side is much the same, almost all wear leo and shorts or leggings but a few wear tight t-shirts and leggings.

Never heard of the requiring gymnastics shoes before. Our old gym has a not shorts policy for all team kids--practice or meets. The HS team apparently requires shorts for practice (never did with my older daughter), but even they don't use them at meets. And we are in Minnesota, but they do heat the building so cold isn't an issue.

That's a new one. I had an argument with a nine year old because she kept going to the bathroom at a Fast food restaurant ( taking a break from the indoor play ground) in her bare feet. That's just gross. Then I realized they do it at gym and I'm not sure it's any cleaner there.

At dd's gym they all have flip flops they keep at the door to wear to the locker room and washroom.

I would love it if my girls could wear shorts. It just covers more then the leo. If they made matching shorts to go with the Leo's for meets I would love that but no shorts allowed for meets here. They can on occasion wear them to class but not very often. I just think certain poses would be better with shorts on.

Our girls wear leggings when they learn their floor routine because they end up with rug-burn. That's the only time really.

Yep, no bare feet in the gym or street footwear. I realize bare feet are not a safety issue and the kids can and do go bare feet at meets, but not allowed in our coach/owner gym.
Some gyms have odd requirements! I'm surprised the train in in the shoes and then compete bare footed. That would seem like a hard transition.

Some gyms have odd requirements! I'm surprised the train in in the shoes and then compete bare footed. That would seem like a hard transition.
Actually shoes are allowed on certain events (I forget which though, Beam and Floor???, because my daughter goes barefoot). So those girls that want to, can.
None of them seem to have an issue at meets though and most choose barefoot even when they can wear their shoes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back