• Go

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Splat

Coach
Gymnast
I strained my finger the other day at practice. I just learned that I have to take at least 2 weeks off. I have a meet next weekend that I'm already signed up for and we can't back out. Should I scratch all events and not go??? Or should I go and just do the dance portion of my routine? I know I would get low scores but at least I would be trying. I need help deciding.

Are you sure it's even up to you? At my daughter's gym the coach wouldn't allow you to compete. It's unfortunate that you will lose the competition money but that's something that happens sometimes in this sport. Plus, you would have to scratch bars and vault completely, and not fully complete beam or floor. It doesn't seem like a good idea, personally. Maybe you could go just to cheer on your teammate if it's local (or even if it's not, if the travel is payed for and non-refundable). I hope you heal quickly.

I think you should talk to your coach! But my guess is that if the doctor told you to rest it that they won't let you compete. Injured kids on my DD's team still go to meets though and they usually get a special job of some sort. I'm sorry you are injured.

ETA - one of DD's injured teammates once filmed everyone on bars then made a cute edit of each routine. Maybe you could do something like this for your teammates.

Are you sure it's two weeks for a strained finger, and that it's up to you? 2 weeks seems excessive for a pulled _____ (muscle, tendon, etc) but if that's what the doctor said... Also, if your doctor said no for 2 weeks... your coaches should be allowing you to compete...

It would really depend on your age and level.
Go but don't compete… or IF your coaches allow dance thrus at meets, since you already paid, you could do that.
We had 2 girls do dance thrus at one meet a few years ago (floor and beam), they were compulsories who were recovering from injuries… and one didn't even know she would be competing, and they both scored 4.0 on floor and one scored a 5.2 on beam and the other scored 5.0 on beam.

Thank you everyone for helping me out. I am going to try to get a ride with a friend to go and support my teammates and I might do dance it depends on how next week goes. The doctors found out that my finger is worse than originally said. I have fractured a bone and I'm going back Tuesday to get more x-Rays and get other info.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back