Side Somi?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is a side somi supposed to land both feet at the same time or one after the other? DD's coach said at the same time, but I was watching Jordyn Weibers beam routine, and it looks like one and then the other.

I've had a couple of kids compete with this skill and have alway taught it as a one-two finish for the feet. Maybe the coach has something further in mind for a child who has a special inclination towards a two foot landing. It could be a lead up to an aerial round-off which may attract some positive attention from the judges. Another likely explanation is that kids learning this skill tend to regress into a side aerial and you DD's coach is using this correction to keep her facing sideways during this phase of training and will later give a green light to a one-two landing. I wouldn't be to concerned as long as your daughter has enjoyed her experience with this coach and is keeping up with her peer group in skill development, but at the same time it couldn't hurt to ask (in confidence or you'll spoil his correction) if the two footed side somi is his final destination. After that you should support the coach no matter the answer, as coaches generally are trying everthing they can to enhance their athlete's success.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back