Skill Levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in level 4, and at my gymnastics camp I'm in a group of level 4 and 5 kids, so we do many level 5 skills that I have never done before.

One thing is an aerial.. is that really level 5? Some level 5 people in my group have theirs, so it could be level 6, but I don't know.

Also, a punch front. I do them into the foam pit but other girls have theirs on floor. Is that level 5 or 6?

Plus, I have a quick question: What IS a level 4 dismount? I know what level 5 is, and I can do it, but is level 4, just, like, tap swings and drop to the ground without doing anything fancy? Thanks! :)

Assuming you live in the US: You don't need an aerial for 5 or 6. Punch front you need for 6. L4 bars dismount is a back hip circle underswing...you don't go to the high bar at all until L5.

Summer camp too introduces lots of different skills to groups of kids because usually there are several skill levels in a group. this way the beginners can work on one thing the next level can work on another and so on. Sometimes its age that might put you in one group or another. At a camp setting you wouldn't want a 14yo beginner with the 6yo beginners. Part of camp is making friends with kids your own age and having fun so sometimes skill isn't the factor that determines groups.

What is a punch front? Same as a front tuck?

Yep :)

Also @OP Aerials were probably introduced because even though they are not required for level 5 and 6 they are generally simple to learn and not exactly "dangerous", some gyms will teach their level 4's side aerials as a "for fun" move.

Yep :)

Also @OP Aerials were probably introduced because even though they are not required for level 5 and 6 they are generally simple to learn and not exactly "dangerous", some gyms will teach their level 4's side aerials as a "for fun" move.
Yeah, unless you stop in the middle and drop on your head, the worst you can do is land on your knees! :p

So, would an aerial be in a level 7 routine?

Summer camp too introduces lots of different skills to groups of kids because usually there are several skill levels in a group. this way the beginners can work on one thing the next level can work on another and so on. Sometimes its age that might put you in one group or another. At a camp setting you wouldn't want a 14yo beginner with the 6yo beginners. Part of camp is making friends with kids your own age and having fun so sometimes skill isn't the factor that determines groups.
I know, but our groups were definitely by level (they asked you your level before putting you in a group) but there are people of all ages and all levels coming. So in my group (which is orange- red is level 3 and 4, orange 4 and 5, yellow 5 and 6.... so on til Purple, which is 8, 9, and, if anyone IS, level 10) the age span was 9-14. Mostly 9 and 10 year olds, but only one 12, 13, and 14 year old. (The 14 yr old used to do gymnastics- and was AWESOME at it- but quit for 6 years and now this is the first time she's done any gymnastics for that long.) And I became fast friends with everyone in my group, we cheer each other on and are like best friends already. :eek: So the groups were good this year! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back