DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Like that title?

As most of you know, we have a new coach this year. He is feeling his way still, as he came in Sept and had to dive right into season prep as well as getting to knwo his team.

The level 7-9 practice has about 8 boys, all aged 11-14. So, no older boys, role models, etc to lean on. I am noticing that they can take advantage a bit, and am unsure of how to deal with it. The coach does a good job of calling them on it most of the time, especially the big stuff, but the little stuff, I am not sure if he notices yet. It is little things like during tramp time, doing tricks, not skills like half spins to their back repeatedly, etc, but not really working progressions like they used to. Maybe not doing conditioning fully, kind of halfway doing it.

I was thinking of talking to my ds about it, but am also trying to back off and let him deal with whatever may happen (ie...you goof off, you don't do well in meets). So, I guess my choices are:

1. Do nothing. Let the chips fall where they may.
2. Talk to DS about focusing his tramp time more.
3. Talk to coach.

There are other extenuating circumstances that we are dealing with in there, but this is the gist. I know what I am leaning toward, but wanted some confirmation that I am not nuts!

This is tough because your ds is older and so his skills require more focus, and I imagine this leads you to feel safer if he is not goofing around. Different than watching a little one goof off and wanting them to behave as a life lesson.

Is it only tramp time or are there concerns all around?

D is more focused other times. Coach says he is trying to ignore the other boys that are goofing around. Tramp is where I notice D struggling th emost, although on any given night it can carry through the practice. Coach will usually then stop and do conditioning the rest of practice (I am assuming because trying to do skills isn't a good idea at that point).

Does the coach seem like a personality who might welcome a constructive discussion? Would he WANT to know that the boys haven't been doing the assignments he has put upon them? More like "fyi" info sharing, rather than a criticism of his teaching?

I have said something to a coach before about some behaviors that the coach wasn't seeing. With younger boys, though. It was received well...at least to my face ;-).

Talk to your son about his hard work helping him reach, or kinda reach, his goals. Making every second on the equipment count is the easiest way to succeed..... and then goof around openly when off the equipment so the coach can monitor the work/play balance.

Hey, are our guys in the same workout group? DS's group has a handful of L6s and a handful of optionals -- when they have a vault rotation, the coach does them separately and the group that's not vaulting is wasting time on the tramp. Sometimes DS actually remembers to do his FS routine. One of his teammates is now the proud owner of a triple spin on trampoline.

I think I'd just remind him about the value of gym time as the meet season approaches and encourage him to be a force and example of Good rather than Fooling Around. I don't do it very often, but it seems to improve things with my DS if I do it sparingly.

OMG, those boys are such chatterboxes! Far, far worse than a flock of teenage girls.

Reactions: sce
I would probably go with your option #2. But, I wouldn't make it specifically about tramp time, maybe just a one-time general conversation about internal drive and focus.

I would talk to your son about the need to respect the practice time and not make things difficult for the new coach. Discuss other things the coach needs to focus on such as learning the gym schedules, etc that the boys might not have thought about.

Try to give him some strategies to take a leadership role and roleplay situations where he could try to redirect or lead others to make good choices. Maybe the boys are playing on skills making competitions of it, he could suggest a competition to finish the correct progression or do it the best.

I guarantee you this coach is stressing over this. It probably keeps him up at night. He will definitely appreciate the parents asking the kids to take some accountability too. The coach will probably start to adapt but taking over a group can be stressful.

Personally, I refuse to do that for multiple reasons, when I've moved I pick 5-7 year olds and will only coach as they move up. But it does need to be done.

2. At the end of the day the only person who can get your son to focus properly is your son. It may just be enough that he knows you are watching, lol.

re the coach. Do you think he is just finding is feet and is likely to be tougher as time goes on?

I feel your pain.....(and your pain in the butt son!)
The age is rotten. They know everything and nothing. They have an answer for everything.

DS 14 is at a gym where the kids are older all the way up to 18 and the older boys are no better. I have watched practices and am horrified about how much goofing off there is. HOWEVER, the coaches do have it under control, and the boys are progressing fine.

I think there is a level of just goofing off at this age and the coaches are fine with it, and join in a bit too. As long as he is progressing, when the time comes for him to put his money where his mouth is, then HE will have to process it, and deal with the rewards of his work.

At our old gym, where DD is still at, boys team has a new coach since September too, and the boys goof off like never before. I don't know what to say.....since the new gym I give him the ' focus' talk etc. etc. and he just says, 'mom, it's my thing'. He can't really escape conditioning though.....I know I pay and everything, but seriously, I would rather him at the gym everyday doing whatever, than not doing anything.....he is in high school...a scary place.

Last edited:
We talked a bit tonight about using time wisely (not just in the gym, but in general) and showing respect to teachers, parents, coaches. My 2nd decision with that is to very rarely be at the gym. I just dropped him off and came home. Ate dinner with the hubs, cleaned a little, and will pick him up. I hope I can keep it up (the price of gas usually stops me but with it going down I think I can do this for a while.)

I do think the coach is strict. He is just different than old coach, as is to be expected. I do think, over time, it will be fine. It is an adjustment, and had they had the summer to adjust it would be differnet. But with him coming in with season aroudn the corner, it makes it harder on everyone.

Thanks guys! You hav ehelped tremendously!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back