DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Apex Technical Corner

This is primarily aimed at the kids and parents at my own gym, but I figure there may be some other parents interested in reading it.

Basically, my goal with this blog is to make a certain level of technical knowledge available to parents -- the more parents (and gymnasts) understand why we coaches do what we do, the better for all of us.

GT that is an awesome idea. We parents love to be informed and boy there is lots to learn.

THanks for sharing!

Good luck to you!! That is great! I am sure your parents will appreciate it. And I bet it will help to answer some questions before they even get asked!

Ii think its awesome!! And already bookmarked it!! Your first subject absolutely pertains to my dd, who has a lot of trouble with shoulder flexibility!! Can't wait to read more!!

Ok this might sound dumb but I LOVE the picture you have at the top. It made me want to read the blog. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Loved the information too.

I would recommend removing the gym's name from your blog and using your own. This would make it more attractive to others and still give you a place to blog should something go awry with you and the gym. It would also add to your credibility in the community (not that you need any help :) )

This looks fantastic! I've already learned a lot! My DD and I both have terrible shoulder flexibility, so I'm looking forward to further info about it!

Updated.

I don't want to spam, so I won't be posting here with every update, but I will give you all a list of already-written posts you can expect over the next month or so.

-Common Gym Terminology
-Mechanics of Airborne Rotation
-Mechanics of Swing
-Aerial Awareness
-The Hardest Tumbling Skill Ever Performed (the Roundoff)

Topic requests are always welcome (especially from parents, though I'll be happy to take ideas from coaches and gymnasts as well).

I don't mind if you post when there's an update! This looks great! We have already been doing the 'cat stretch' (didn't know it was called that, it isn't the same as the yoga cat stretch), so it is good to know we're on the right track.

The arm lift is new to me, it looks like it will be hard for my stiff little shoulders, I'm worried I won't be able to get my arms off the ground at all - will have to try it when I get home!

Thanks for posting your blog. I think it will be so helpful for all of us!!!

The arm lift is new to me, it looks like it will be hard for my stiff little shoulders, I'm worried I won't be able to get my arms off the ground at all - will have to try it when I get home!

I tried it, I could get my arms off the ground but not by very much. How far off the ground are your arms supposed to get?

HI! :)
My youngest has this issue that you posted about. :) She has super tight shoulder muscles. She can do a pretty handstand and has imiproved her bridge until it is done with straight legs and feet together, but she still can't do the bridge up and walkover in level three. Also, her level three bars is very strong with all skills mastered in it. They are working with her on getting the hop on the bar to straight legs in piked postion then dismounts. So she has the strength, but can't do the walk over. Any advice? We've been doing the stretches indicated here since summer. She can walkover from a mat.
Thanks

Updated again. Let me know if I'm getting too technical with this update and I'll see if I can break it down further.

(I promise I'll stop bumping frequently once I really get things going, but for these early posts I want to get as much feedback as I can to make sure I'm really reaching my target audience)

Had a couple more updates -- also, I only have two more already-planned/written columns, so I welcome any requests. If there are any particular topics you'd like me to cover or any questions you'd like me to answer, let me know.

I like the round-off column - it makes me feel better about my weak round-off to know that it is really quite a difficult skill, and gives me some clues as to how to improve it.

I would be interested in a column about blocking, how to block, exercises for learning and improving block technique, etc.

I like the round-off column - it makes me feel better about my weak round-off to know that it is really quite a difficult skill, and gives me some clues as to how to improve it.

I would be interested in a column about blocking, how to block, exercises for learning and improving block technique, etc.

I was thinking about doing a column on vault, which would probably cover blocking, though I may well end up having enough to say to split that into several columns.

Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back