Parents So, this Doc Ali about whom you all speak-

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
Is this a program which is primarily used for treating fear issues? Or, is it something one can utilize to try and prevent them as well? Oh, and is it only about fears?

I suppose i could google, but really want info from users- not just a website trying to sell it. Thanks!

Not just about fears -- it's about developing the mental side of gymnastics, being a tough competitor, how to be a good teammate, how to work through both frustration and fear....and much more. I think it would probably be good for any gymnast that was open to it. Gymnastics is a very mental sport so it's good to provide the gymnast with some skills there too.

She has some awesome stuff on her website-even free stuff if you don't want to commit to a program for a few months. All good stuff about mindset and being intentional in preparation. Better for kids a little older-my 8 yo didn't really click with it, but my 10 year old liked the concepts a little bit more.

I just bought it for my DD, but from what I can tell there are multiple different "programs" with different focuses, some more on fear and others just on mental toughness/conditioning. Different programs also have different formats... Workbook, audio, DVD, online workshops, etc. and each has different price points. I almost bought my DD a mental conditioning audio program, too, but figured I'd wait and see how the first workbook program goes. We haven't received it yet, so I can't share personal experience.

And yes - doc Ali has articles for free that you can read and get (what I assume is) a taste of what she's about. DD has always responded very well every time she reads pretty much anything by her.

My dd is working through the "Athlete Warrior" program right now. She loves it. It is really helping. But I will say that she is at a point where she understands that this part of it is necessary to reach her goals and so is very invested and committed. She also has some background with this type of thing and is pretty good at self reflection now. I think that is why she is able to do this at this age. This is a pretty intensive program as is stated in the materials.

I know there are different levels and focuses for the different programs. The age of your child, their level of gymnastics and their level of commitment to the work and learning style will determine what program fits best.

I will say that the only way I have ever seen this type of work have significant effect is if the kid is driving and really wants to work on it. We tried one of the compulsory programs a few years ago when she was having some fear and she just wasn't into it and didn't do the work and didn't get any results. It did introduce it to her though and this summer she came to me and asked if we could start working through it again because she could see she needed some help with getting her head cleared and focused.

I wouldn't say that this stuff is going to quickly solve a block or major fear. It is more of a practice. The mental training side of the sport. Some changes she sees quickly and some are more of a longer process, much like skill development and practice.

Is this a program which is primarily used for treating fear issues? Or, is it something one can utilize to try and prevent them as well? Oh, and is it only about fears?

I suppose i could google, but really want info from users- not just a website trying to sell it. Thanks!

No...not really about fears at all...it's mental toughness. If used correctly...it helps athletes stay positive in tough times...helps them focus more...helps them connect the mind to the body so they can do what us coaches want them to do...it's good stuff.

As a male coach...I struggle with the female mind (of course)...Ali does not...the girls and coaches respect and trust her. Our optional girls work with Ali as a team...this will be our second season with her...I highly recommend her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back