Sole circle or squat on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

coxmaryellen70

My daughter is a nine year old level 6. She's been having a great year (36.9 AA last meet), and is having so much fun. I don't interfere with her coaches because they are great and know what they are doing. I do not have a clue about gymnastics! She has all of her level 7 skills, and will move up next season. I noticed that she has been doing a sole circle instead of a squat on at practice. Her highest bar score so far has been a 9.2. Does a sole circle score better than a squat on? I totally trust her coaches, but am curious.
Thanks!

In USAG L6 gymnasts can do a squat on, a pike on, or a sole circle. They are all worth the same amount. No bonus.

However, many gyms steer away from the sole circle because there is additional risk of deductions. However, if you DD is doing it and scoring 9.2s, it sounds like she is a good bar worker.

Thanks for getting back to me. She has not done the sole circle in competition yet. The 9.2 was with a squat on. I trust her coaches; whatever they decide is what will work best for her!

Thanks for getting back to me. She has not done the sole circle in competition yet. The 9.2 was with a squat on. I trust her coaches; whatever they decide is what will work best for her!

Haha, as a coach, we love parents like you who trust us.

They may well be having her work a sole circle so she can use it in L7, regardless of if she competes it in L6.

another question. My daughter has also been landing back full twists on the floor for a while now. Can she use this in level 7?
Thanks!

She could do the full, but there really is not point in doing so. It won't get her any bonus but probably deductions. It's great that she can do it but L7 is a really important level for perfecting fundamentals for upcoming skills - she should stick to that.

As far as the sole circle goes - Aside from whether or not she is gonna compete it it's a great skill to be able to do as a rescue move if the squat on isn#t quite over the bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back