WAG Solutions for Female Athlete Triad (for a paper)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
My daughter had to write a "problem paper" for school (meaning she had to identify a problem). She chose the Female Athlete Triad in gymnastics & focused on past abuses in the sport... Nassar, Karolyis, the demands of the sport, etc.

Now she has to write part 2 which is a solutions paper. She has her own ideas, but I told her I would see if anyone on CB had additional suggestions on how to reduce the pressure for undernourished gymnasts to overtrain/train on injuries.

Fire away if you have any!

I want to hear her answers first!
She was thinking it would be good to not allow affiliations between gyms or gymnastics organizations and medical providers so that a provider is not simply prescribing what they think the coaches want plus some type of video training that competitive gymnasts must annually watch as part of their USAG (or other organization) membership that informs them of what the Female Athlete Triad is and why they want to avoid it/how to avoid it. She also found professionals in the field who have their own recommendations for change, so she will also use those ideas too (but not claim they are hers).

Wow, great ideas! Perhaps she could add some sort of mental/physical screening tool (like a couple of pages of questions and red flags to watch for) for annual/biannual assessments as well. Or have gymnasts complete a quarterly self reflections that focus on goals/skill acquisition/fueling and energy, which might help gymnasts see for themselves how their diet and activity levels affect how they feel and how they perform.

My daughter had to write a "problem paper" for school (meaning she had to identify a problem). She chose the Female Athlete Triad in gymnastics & focused on past abuses in the sport... Nassar, Karolyis, the demands of the sport, etc.

Now she has to write part 2 which is a solutions paper. She has her own ideas, but I told her I would see if anyone on CB had additional suggestions on how to reduce the pressure for undernourished gymnasts to overtrain/train on injuries.

Fire away if you have any!
Sending you a DM.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back