WAG Sparkly competition leo question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
You know when you wash a blue or purple sparkly leo too much and it will turn pretty much black? (i mean in the washing machine, etc)
Well, DD's sparkly purple leo is getting a spot in the armpit that is doing this. Not bad, only SHE notices it.

My question, to anyone who might have experience with this - which is worse for these million dollar diamond encrusted pieces of sparkly lycra - sweat or deodorant?

We were given specific instructions not to let the girls wear regular deodorant while wearing their competition leotards. Apparently it discolors it pretty noticeably.

We were given specific instructions not to let the girls wear regular deodorant while wearing their competition leotards. Apparently it discolors it pretty noticeably.

Darnit! That's one thing that wasn't on my list!!! I mean, I know I have to wash it under a full moon with unicorn tears, but nobody said no regular deodorant :(

Can I ask what your oldest daughter uses then? If I recall she's about the same age and development as mine (13 almost 14). She's on a small team, but half of them barely even sweat yet, muchless smell.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1457736192.566193.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1457736222.898915.jpg

Yep, fourteen! This is specifically we were told to buy. They suggested it in a different form but DD thought it was too weird (you have to wet it before you put it on, with your hands) so we went with the roll on. It's not the greatest, but the leo still looks brand new, so it's served its purpose. They were selling the other version at the gym, but I bought this one at Walgreens for like $6.

So glad to stumble on this thread. Daughter is just starting to wear deodorant to practice (in tank leos). Definitely don't want to ruin the comp leo!

No one mentioned deodorant recommendations to us either...

Wow! I never thought about this. I went through two comp leos and both ended up with totally black underarms. I just had assumed that happened since it was a high-friction area. Now we have mesh so it doesn't really affect it too much. This would have been great to know five seasons ago!

View attachment 6133View attachment 6134
Yep, fourteen! This is specifically we were told to buy. They suggested it in a different form but DD thought it was too weird (you have to wet it before you put it on, with your hands) so we went with the roll on. It's not the greatest, but the leo still looks brand new, so it's served its purpose. They were selling the other version at the gym, but I bought this one at Walgreens for like $6.
Thank you! ***off to Walgreens...

I don't know that it matters. We have a GK leo and my daughter's started discolouring under the arms. I called up about it and they said "Oh, it must be the deoderant she's using". I said she doesn't use deoderant, so then they said "Oh, it must be sweat then". I think some fabrics are more reactive than others and I wonder if it's more about body heat.

I could see where deodorant could play into it, but I don't think that's the whole truth... I have little kids on my developmental team (all under age 8) with some permanently stained leos and I seriously doubt they are using deodorant. ;)

Well I went ahead and bought the crystal deodorant. I figured, hey, it can't hurt - LOL!
Of course, while buying it, DD and I spoke, and she may not continue on. So at this point, we might just have this last wearing for States this weekend...

Any deodorant that doesn't have aluminum it it will work. It's the aluminum that causes the problem.

Totally a coincidence but DD needed new deodorant and picked Tom's at Target today. I was all excited and then realized her comp leo is black LOL. Little sis has an aqua color one though...

dd has had her current leo for 3 comp seasons now. Only one arm is sparkly blue but its underarm is completely fine. She wears Dove or secret most times. Does this happen with only certain fabrics? I do remember one of the leos she had in a lower level that was silvery and that turned black wherever there was a lot of friction - sides/arms, butt area (from sitting down on the ground)

Well I went ahead and bought the crystal deodorant. I figured, hey, it can't hurt - LOL!
Of course, while buying it, DD and I spoke, and she may not continue on. So at this point, we might just have this last wearing for States this weekend...

I'm sorry to hear this. Did she say why?

I
I'm sorry to hear this. Did she say why?
Thank you :)
It has to do with her beam fear. Total panic fear of BWO. We actually met with HC as soon as states was over and they are going to work on a plan. I'm hoping that will help. But we cannot spend the whole summer in tears after every practice...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back