Parents Spinoff of the high scores vs low scores thread..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY here, not a powerhouse state, but scores can get pretty high. DD avg'd between 36.5- 38.350 last year in lv 3. 1st AA at states with 37.85. 1st level 4 meet this year 36.5 was 3rd AA. Pretty typical for the compulsories to score 38s at the top placements. Level 4 trains 12 hours/week, more in summer.
So far Region 6 has low training hours w/ higher avg scores!

We are in a low-power state with lower scores as well.
However when we go to a particular nearby state, (which is much more high-power) we always score higher.
Second, overall the compulsory scores were much lower in our state 3+ years ago than they are now. not sure if it is the new routines since the switch over or if the judges are trying to score closer to the other states now.

We are in a low-power state with lower scores as well.
However when we go to a particular nearby state, (which is much more high-power) we always score higher.
Second, overall the compulsory scores were much lower in our state 3+ years ago than they are now. not sure if it is the new routines since the switch over or if the judges are trying to score closer to the other states now.
Do you train higher hours? (Ie >than12)?

Wow - 2 yrs! I haven't heard that b4- do the kids get bored? I think your region must be awesome in form & technique!!

They sometimes move kids after a year. They have indicated that the girls will probably only do one year of 4. I hope so... youngest has all of her l5 skills so she would be super bored at 4 for 2 years. :)

I would love to know how many of those super high scoring compulsory gymnasts are still around for optionals? Is there any correlation there between super high scores in compulsory and longevity in the sport? Are those scores for mostly repeating gymnasts, or 1st year levels? I guess you could go on a deep dive through my meet scores to figure some of that out...

I would love to know how many of those super high scoring compulsory gymnasts are still around for optionals? Is there any correlation there between super high scores in compulsory and longevity in the sport? Are those scores for mostly repeating gymnasts, or 1st year levels? I guess you could go on a deep dive through my meet scores to figure some of that out...
Right?! I'm thinking the USAG should hand out questioneers (sp?) to retiring gymnasts so we could get some hard data on that! (OMG- I'm totally in geek-out mode right now!)

Texas, ugh. Level 3 is 12 hours, Level 4/5 is 16, Level 6/7 24... After that it's basically 30 hours a week and I believe that's fairly typical. Scores are very high and of course oloots of national team members come from TX. We're still preteaming it at a gym that believes littles don't need to live at the gym, but it ramps up really fast from here. I'm looking into TAAF.

So Raen & Tooots- what do you think? If the correlation of training hrs going up improves scores, would you like the gymnasts to train more?
I wouldn't want our gymnasts to train more. The trade off isn't worth it in my mind. The girls I mentioned and our other consistent high scorers all participate in other activities - cheer, cross country, track, soccer, golf, softball, etc.
We have girls that place at YMCA Nationals every year. They are facing not only girls that compete against other YMCAs, but in some areas, Ys also compete against clubs... and train similar hours to the high hours reported here on CB.

Region 8 here. My dd is a level 3 and trains 12 hours a week. Levels 4 and 5 train 15-16 hours a week. I guess that makes us mid to high number of hours for the lower levels? It doesn't go up too much from there though and maxes out around 22-24 hours for level 10's. I think we train more than most gyms in our immediate area, but I have heard (just rumors!) that the most competitive gyms in my state go 16 hours at level 3.

Our state seems to be fairly high scoring, but nothing like the OP's state. At our recent state meet, the highest level 3 was over 39. There were about a dozen 38's and then tons of 37's. My dd's gym (level 3 team) averaged mid to upper 37's with 1 38. They placed in the top 5 as a team, so they held their own but were not dominating by any means.

I would not want to go more hours and, honestly, wish they went less. I do like that she only goes 3 days a week (3 4 hour practices) instead of 4. The current 4's also go 3 days a week (3 5 hour practices). While it makes for long nights, I really like having 4 nights free.

After reading other people needing a 38 to move up, or that the state winners are routinely in the 38's, I believe we might be a lower scoring state. I do know DD's scores tend to go up when we leave the state for travel meets.

Did not want to hijack other thread but it got me thinking.. why, if the deductions are nationally identical, do the scores seem so varied state-to-state? Judges must use the same rules (esp in compulsories), so what is the cause? I am in a well-known-as-a-high-scoring state, so wanted to compare training hours. Right now, dd is training level 4 = 16 hrs x wk - what about you guys?
Scores fluctuate wildly from state to state, always have.

Our state meet last spring:
1542 gymnasts in levels 2-5 from 70 gyms
25 38.0+ scores by gymnasts from 8 gyms... all of the girls were in levels 2-4. No L5s scored 38.

2 of the gyms that had 38s also have elites on the National team.

If you go to mymeetscoresonline.com you find most of the state scores. Filter by completed meets, year and state. While I don't think 38 and higher is common in meets during the season, I do think by the time you get to "States" high scores are common for the top finishers. And when it's not 38s and 39s, it's high 37s pretty much. I work overnights so if it's quiet I might dig a bit there.

NY here hours vary greatly in our state and in others. If you do a search you will find many threads that talk about hours. There are in fact kids at lower compulsories training 16-20 hours a week. There are in fact gyms that homeschool even at L4 to get large hours in gym. It looks like our state has high scores.

Then you need to factor in who is repeating and why.

Personally I think there are too many variables and to low a sample size for you to get anything useful out if it.

That said. Our gym has some of the lowest hours in our area. L2 5 hours/wk.
L3 7.5 hrs/wk, L4 and up 9 hrs/wk. You can add a day at any level which would add 3 hrs/wk. Maxing out hours at 12 L4-10 (we currently have no 10). Almost all the kids do more hours in the summer with camps. Some do they extra weekly, some every other, some when they can. Some to get some extra time in before states. Some will take privates. Our gym will also let a gymnast who can keep up, but families have financial concerns do less hours.

Have fun with your graphs.

yep the variables are many to get any sort of useful information or correlation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back