WAG Split leap question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In a split leap, is there a deduction if you bend your front leg and kick to a straight leg? (Both for beam and floor)

This is what I'm talking about: (the first few seconds)

Not a coach or judge, but skill 1.101 in DP for a split leap reads "split leap forward...also with bending of the forward leg and/or back leg (stag or double-stag position in flight phase)" and it also shows a picture of leap going from a stag position with an arrow indicating straightening the front leg out to get the 180 split. What you might be thinking of is a problem with a switch leap, because that has to swing with straight free leg.

Not a coach or judge, but skill 1.101 in DP for a split leap reads "split leap forward...also with bending of the forward leg and/or back leg (stag or double-stag position in flight phase)" and it also shows a picture of leap going from a stag position with an arrow indicating straightening the front leg out to get the 180 split. What you might be thinking of is a problem with a switch leap, because that has to swing with straight free leg.
Thank you so much!
(And no I wasn't thinking about the switch leap because I can do that with straight legs but normal leap looks better if I stag into it, especially on beam. My coach has told me not to stag though not sure why)

Thank you so much!
(And no I wasn't thinking about the switch leap because I can do that with straight legs but normal leap looks better if I stag into it, especially on beam. My coach has told me not to stag though not sure why)
It might be a coaching/gym preference, or an issue concerning progression. I know I avoid having athletes stag at all costs because 1) I personally think it's ugly and 2) A switch leap will eventually require them to know how to lift a straight leg. I am always of the mind to listen to your coach.

It might be a coaching/gym preference, or an issue concerning progression. I know I avoid having athletes stag at all costs because 1) I personally think it's ugly and 2) A switch leap will eventually require them to know how to lift a straight leg. I am always of the mind to listen to your coach.
That makes sense, thank you for your input.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back