Parents Sponsorship money split amongst all gymnast or just boosters?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A non-profit is a company that has filed corporate documents in its home state. A 501(c)(3) is a form of non-profit that is recognized by the federal government and can offer tax deductions and distribute money to fulfill its tax-exempt purpose. Most states require non-profits be 501(c)(3)s, but not all.

If you fundraise (individually or as a group, whether in-kind donations, cash donations, or work like a car wash), you must pay taxes on your income unless you are a non-profit or a 501(c)(3).

If you receive a cash donation to your child (dry cleaners buys an ad in the meet program) and keep the money, then you have violated NCAA amateurism rules. If you work as a gymnast and keep the money, you may not have violated amateurism rules if you follow the very, very recent case law about video games and the NCAA's treatment of Mo'ne Davis.

The benefit of a 501(c)(3) is that 1) donors get tax deductions and 2) cash donations may be allocated to individuals or groups without violating NCAA amateurism rules.

The benefit of a non-profit is that 1) taxes are low or non-existent and 2) there is a corporate shield for the officers of the entity working on the fundraising (for instance, the organizers are not personally liable if a child is injured at the car wash).

The NCAA has amateurism regulations which are available online. Drilling down into specific situations would require a review of case law interpreting such rules. The research department of the NCAA should be able to provide their amateurism rules. It is a different phone number than the regular 800 line.

Forgot to add that in this memorable experience with a booster club, we worked 13 of the 15 sessions of our own hosted meet, had to pay an entrance fee of $120 for OUR OWN gymnast to be in this meet AND had to pay admission for the session we weren't working ($15 a head so $30 for both parents) to see our own child compete so actually the net for all this work was 50 bucks....not.worth.it.......

Oh my, wth!!! I'd be so over that!!

Oh my, wth!!! I'd be so over that!!
No kidding! I wouldn't like a booster club like that either. Our booster club paid for all meet fees, coaches fees, etc.--so somewhere between $1,000-1,500 each year. And you had to work two sessions at each meet hosted (usually two of them per year). We always had nearly 100% participation--although some did the minimum and many did far more than is required. If parents only got $200 back, I'm sure we wouldn't have had good participation either!

And working long hours at a meet isn't limited to clubs with booster clubs--I know of many gyms around here that requires team parents to work meets the gym itself is hosting--and they get NOTHING back. It's just part of being on team.

There is a lot of information to absorb here. Thank you to all that replied. We started boosters to help offset costs but it is time consuming. Officers spend 15+ hours a week planning and organizing. Boosters is a double edge sword. We need to charge a membership to pay for expenses and tax exempt status but with only 25% of families volunteering its hard

Our booster club is not optional, it is separate from the gym but the gym requires all team and pre-team to join the booster club. We have a board of 6 people, we spend maybe 2-3 hours a month on meetings (one board meeting and a parent's meeting the following week). We are a non profit and have mandatory and optional individual fund raisers. If someone doesn't participate in a mandatory fund raiser or do their share of volunteering at one of our two home meets we will charge their account and if they don't pay their child won't compete at the next meet. Might seem harsh but the coaches value the booster club and it gives us the leverage we need. We generally only have 1 or 2 complainers a season and the time commitment that the above entails is less than 20 hrs a year. It's worked well for us so far!

If you receive a cash donation to your child (dry cleaners buys an ad in the meet program)

The purchase of an ad in a program is not a donation. The buyer has received a service (advertising) in exchange for the payment. Individuals who purchase items as part of a "fund raiser" (cookie dough, popcorn, candy, etc.) are not making donations either. They are receiving goods in exchange for their money.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back