Standing Back Tucks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any tips or advice on improving standing back tucks? Any advice or drills on lifting up instead of throwing back? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have any tips or advice on improving standing back tucks? Any advice or drills on lifting up instead of throwing back? Thanks in advance!

Stretch jumps with an arm swing, focusing on your body position.
Tucks up onto a panel mat.
Hold a small ball under your chin while throwing your tuck.
Pick a spot on the wall and try to focus on it as long as possible before and after the actual tuck motion--you should only lose sight of it for a brief fraction of a second.

I thought that I always had a really good standing tuck until I started doing them on beam. Then, I realized that I wasn't setting up enough to land "good". When I went to gymnastics camp this summer, a coach there told me that I was dropping my chest too low when I was swinging my arms for the skill. When I keep my chest up, I seem to flip a lot faster or go higher (i dont know which one!), but I land standing upright instead of having my chest down. It helped a lot :)

If you have big not too heavy medicine balls or any other kind of big balls at your gym then you could try doing standing back tucks on tramp keeping the ball in you hands in the air.
It helped me.

With any jumps i did (especially for beam) i would struggle to get my chest up and jump with my legs. I was told not to swing my body into the jump because i was forgetting to swing my chest back up. So what i did for my back tucks was just swing with your arms, maintaining chest position and use power from your legs :) i got spot the first time i did this as it was scary changing technique :)

Get stronger and more powerful.

As for the head out issues, train a back pullover on tramp. I always had issues with back tucks with throwing my head but not with back pike. Of course, I never really worked a back tuck until years later when back pike wasn't as easy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back