WAG State TOPS testing-hows it going?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
My daughter has tested twice so far. Trying to decide if we should go for a third test, but hard to know with the new testing what she should even be aiming for as a "good score". She did pretty well on skills and phys abilities, but missed her toe circle and only held her handstand 16 seconds. Hard knowing if the toe circle will make or break it, and if the $200 test is worth a toe circle and a longer handstand...
How is everyone else doing with this process? Coach will advise us on what to do next, but do they even know what is considered "good enough" to make it to national testing?

What age is she testing as? Its really hard to tell what the base score will be and Ive been told two diffeent things already.,. Ive been to two tests as a coach and 1 of my girls had a 20 pt difference in the skill area . At both tests it seems like that sole circle or bars in general is an issue. What exactly are you paying for... Usa gymnastics charges $50 per test

My dd is only testing one time...in about a week. I'm not looking for her to make the camp, just to do the best she can do. She only started the TOPS program about 3 months ago. She likes it because it is challenging and fun, and she gets to uptrain stuff. That makes it worth it for us! Good luck to everyone who has dd's testing!!!!

My dd has been to two tests. She ended up with the same total skills scores, but had major differences in her physical abilities. She will be testing again in a couple of weeks.

My daughter went to 1 testing, and has her 2nd and last one on the 21st. She did only ok on physical abilities, and her skills were not her best so I have no idea how she stacks up against the rest of the country! She had a wobble on her FW and dismount on beam which are very uncharacteristic for her, and she didn't stick any landings on floor(she said the floor was VERY bouncy). Bars was not great either:( She nails them all in practice so hopefully the next test is better! Since they average all the scores to come up with the qualifying scores, it would be nice to see other girls' scores! Here are my daughter's (as you can see they aren't great):

splits 9.5/10
rope 8.05 (she gets low 7's on the hemp rope, but this gym used a new nylon rope which was too smooth)
casts 8 (arched on 2)
leg lifts 20
handstand hold 30
presses 10

beam 20
floor 18
bars 16

Ah TOPS testing season...parents, don't worry about where your child's scores are and whether they will make the camp. Better to focus on the fact that they are once again having an invaluable experience of working daily towards a situation that might take them on yet another gymnastics adventure. Whether they make camp or not shouldn't be the focus. The training itself will make them stronger gymnasts and that is where the focus should be (just IMHO).

Take it from a parent who has been on the TOPs testing journey - no sense in stressing about something you have absolutely no control over! And it's not going to "ruin" your child's gymnastics career if she doesn't make it to the camp. Regardless of the goal, TOPs testing is not a make-it or break-it step in this journey - really.

Enjoy it, and personally, I wouldn't spend the $200 (?!) for another test. Doesn't matter what age she is. (And what are you paying $200 for?....)

TOPS testing has been a fun experience for my little one. She wants very much to make it to national testing so, for her, I hope she does. Her coach said no need for third test, looks like she scored high enough to make it on the first one. I am not sure how they know this but, thats what she said. BTW, the test was only $50 but travel costs up and back for her and coach made it $200...for those who asked. Also, she tested as an 8 year old. I can give you what I can remember on the points from her first test...

leg lifts: 20 (10 pts)
press handstands: 5 (10pts)
handstand: 16 seconds, no faults (5 pts)
flexibilty: 9 pts/ 9.5 pts (bad leg, good leg)
rope climb: 2.6 seconds (halfway for 8 year olds)
casts: 5 casts (9 pts)

Skills:
bars 16 pts (no toe circle)
beam 22 pts
floor 24 pts

So now we wait... we wish everyone else the best of luck. Think we will pass on third test.

I think it looks like she did great! Not sure what a a good rope climb time is but certainly everything else looks great! Sure beats what I could do:) This was meant as a reply to 021581ts!

GymBeeMom, my daughter has taken two TOP tests so far as well. She is doing great at the abilities, but the skills are not perfect. The bars are really difficult for her. I wish we knew the cut off scores so she could relax a bit. It'd be interesting to know if they are weighting the two areas evenly. In any previous year, I'd be really confident that she had qualified already but. . . with the skills portion, we're kind of just hoping for the best. Was there a "magic number" your coach thought would be safe for qualification?

GymBeeMom, my daughter has taken two TOP tests so far as well. She is doing great at the abilities, but the skills are not perfect. The bars are really difficult for her. I wish we knew the cut off scores so she could relax a bit. It'd be interesting to know if they are weighting the two areas evenly. In any previous year, I'd be really confident that she had qualified already but. . . with the skills portion, we're kind of just hoping for the best. Was there a "magic number" your coach thought would be safe for qualification?

Coach did not tell me a magic number, only that she felt confident my DDs scores would be good enough. My DDs bars weren't great either only earning 16 out of 24 points. I guess we will know in a few weeks. Best wishes to your little gymmie! I have no idea how the scores are weighted, seems no one does.

Hi all! This is my 1st post but a long-time follower of this site. Some really great info here.

Anyway, my 10yr old DD tested this past Saturday for her State TOPs testing. As a 9yr old last year she made it to Nat'l testing. Unfortunately, she missed the B Camp by a small margin. With the new skill component in place at the State level this year, I am not sure what to think but I will post her scores and maybe someone here can provide insight on her chances of going back to Texas to test again. Thanks.

Rope: 9.13 seconds
Presses: 10 with no deductions
h/s: 30 seconds no deductions
Leg lifts: 20 w/ no deductions
Casts: 10 points (she did 5 casts)
Splits: 20 pts (10 for each leg?)

FX Routine: 20 out of a possible 24 points
Beam Routine: 20 out of a possible 24 pts
Bars: 22 out of 24 pts.

If my 10 yr old daughter qualifies it would be her 3rd yr going to national testing. The 1st year she didn't make any team, and last year she only made B team so she really wants another chance! Her coaches told us that the only way to be certain of qualifying was to get at least a 20 on all skills, as well as nailing physical abilities. She went to her 2nd testing last weekend, and improved on everything... then fell on an otherwise beautiful bar routine! Now her coach has her going back one last time so fingers crossed! Here are her scores from the 2nd test:

Presses- 10
Handstand- 30
Leg Lifts- 20
Rope- 7.5
Casts- 9
Splits 10/10

Beam- 20
Floor- 20
Bars- 14 (had an uncharacteristic fall, but fixed her form on the rest so progress!)

My 8 year old daughter has her first test this Sunday. She has been working VERY hard on the skills, so we'll see!

I wish it was just physical abilities, because she is doing very well on those, the skills are more hit/miss - the darn
bars!

Sounds like some good efforts have been put up - congrats to your daughters!

Our gym does three tests the first one not do great the judges were not very good or fair. The second one she did great as a 9 she got
Splits 14/14
Rope 8.38
Handstand 30
Casts 10
Presses 10

Bars 18
Beam 24
Floor 22

She made it tO b camp last year and is hoping for a camp this year. We haveone testing left to
Do.

I have brought gymnasts to 4 testings so far.. Though I have to say theyve done well, scoring is tight. I also have only seen 1 other 7yr old in four tests. Has anyone else seen 7yr olds?

Our gym brought 2 gymmies to testing this past weekend that were 7 years old. it was hard to watch them sitting around waiting for as long as they did while the older girls did the skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back