Stick to it or move up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Hi all,
I don't know whether to move up a level into P3 or stay at P2. I know I would do well at both. Coach is fine with me doing either and says it's my decision, but with my recent shoulder injury and my knees bothering me again I'm not sure! I think I listed all of my skills. What do you Canadians think?

My skills;
Beam-
Full turn (standing and squatted)
Very close to BHS
BWO-BT dismount
Press to handstand mount
Cartwheel to handstand step/press down or through
Spilt jump tuck half

Bars-
Kip cast to 45
Squat on
Uprise
Flyaway
Close to straddle catch and sole circle
Long kip cast to 45
Inconsistent free hip

Floor-
RO-BHS-BHS
RO-BHS-BT
FHS-FT
FHS-FLO
Switch spilt cat leap full and 1 1/2
Double turn
BWO & FWO
Valdez
Aerial

Vault-
Front handspring
Sometimes a half
Occasionally a full

Competition season does not start until January! So I'm jumping the gun I know, but I've been stressing over this.

As you can do most of your skills at P2 I would probably stick with it and working on perfecting routines. The nice thing about the Canadian system is you can load your routines with bonus skills, and you seem to have just about every one for P2. For P3 it would be more of a challenge and with your nagging injuries maybe less pressure to upgrade would be more fun.

On the other hand, if you have an exceptional summer training you could easily step right into P3, that is the nice thing about meets not being until winter. You really do not have to decide until you are putting your routines together and even still after that.

Anything is possible, you have close to six months to see! Isn't that cool?

It really depends on where you are also, because there are lots of girls here that compete very minimum and place well, but in other places that I have seen on youtube, they have them packed with difficulty. If you were at my club you owould either compete P3, if you got the backhandspring on beam, and a series (backwalkover series, cartwheel series, cartwheel roundoff, handstand backwalkover), the sole circle on bars, and a backlayout on floor, and probably a line with two saltos.
Another option is too compete P2, for the first half of the year, till after provincials. Then if you have more invitationals after that then try P3 at those as those meets are really just for fun and experience. Thats what I did this year from P3 to P4!

I do have a series, Bwo bt and bwo bwo. Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking I'll do P2 for the first meet, get qualified to Provincials and than focus on qualifying for P3 if my shoulder/knees are up to it.

I had full difficulty on everything but bars this year. Ironically out of all my placings bars was often the highest ranked!

My issues for P3 are basically bars and floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News