Parents Stiff appearance while doing various skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mollyzoe

Proud Parent
As my daughter (age 6) progresses in gymnastics I am noticing that she appears much stiffer than the other girls on her preteam. For example when doing skills such as handstand to bridge and kick over she does the skill but just looks so stiff and not natural while doing it. Likewise on bars -she's recently gotten her pullover and is now working on back hip circle and mill circles and appears very stiff and unnatural while doing these skills. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sounds to me like she's just trying really hard to use good form. Are her legs straight and toes pointed? That's often unnatural for young gymnasts and if she's really focused on it at 6, that is a good thing. She'll probably get more fluidity to her movement as her conditioning level and experiences catches up to her skills.

Ballet classes help with fluidity and grace. If she has time I would look into a ballet class.

I'm smiling because my muscley DD started at 6 on preteam, and has been called 'a robot' when doing moves (as in, she was not so fluid and graceful). Being stiff (not floppy) with a tight body is a positive for many moves, like bars. So on the flip side, she's never been called a 'Floppy Noodle', which is a good thing! Her bars are looking great nowadays for her level.

You're probably referring to her lack of natural smoothness and grace, which she'll get more of as she matures. Mine did. The stiffness is probably indicative of muscle, which is an asset. Don't worry or say anything to her about it. Her body will learn to move like it needs to as she progresses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back