MAG Still waiting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, we are still waiting for a coach. They interviewed and offered it to someone but he has not replied ot them for 2 weeks. really? Come on...even if it is no, just let us know. They got another lead this week as well.

But, in the meantime, there is still just conditioning and strength going on. No new skills :( The boys are goofing off, not doing much. Since it is levels 5-10, it makes it hard. not that the older kids are any more focused. WIth August just around the corner, he is getting eager to do something!

I have talked to ds about focusing even more now since his coaches don't know much yet, and needing to know what he needs to do for his routines. He has been watching some youtube videos to try to help come up with routines, but that is only so much help.

any suggestions for him?

Let him go to open gym and just tumble like crazy just for fun. He has to keep having fun with it, because practices now sound like all work. I hope they get a good coach before he loses interest.

Do you have options of other gyms? I imagine they are not giving you a break on tuition while you wait...that must be hard on everyone. And unsafe, depending on the level your son is at.

Let him go to open gym and just tumble like crazy just for fun. He has to keep having fun with it, because practices now sound like all work. I hope they get a good coach before he loses interest.

Actually, he is having fun. We don't have an open gym to go to. but he is having fun. that is one part that is still there...lol. But I know it is going to change as season gets closer and he realizes what he needs to get to be level 8.

Do you have options of other gyms? I imagine they are not giving you a break on tuition while you wait...that must be hard on everyone. And unsafe, depending on the level your son is at.

We have one other gym in town that I am not a huge fan of. The next closest gym is 50 minutes each way, more tuition, no booster club (we have an amazing booster club). We have discussed the option,but he is not too keen on it right now.

I think if he just got some ideas of what skills he needs at level 8, his coaches will work with him. I just have no idea :(

That should be pretty easy information to get. Maybe USAG website or just PM Dunno or another one of the coaches on here. Actually, Dunno probably has it memorized already:)

As you know, my beloved child is but a rising L6. But what I've heard our coaches and parents saying is that it's important to start L8 with no missing elements in the routines. Does he have a B dismount on every event (save vault) and a vault with good value per the table? If not, those are some decent places to start.

I presume he's seen the optional routine construction table?

What might be really helpful would be if some of you L9-L10 guys and coaches would post some examples of L8 routines for each event that have the maximum element group start values!

I think they just started looking at the routine construction table at the end of last week. They couldn't find it for the longest time.

Then there is this issue: One coach wants him to do a front dismount off rings. Another wants him to do a back dismount. So they each tell him something different. UGH!

Any ideas??

I did talk to his most experienced ac. D doesn't always get along with him, but he is very knowledgeable and has a plan for D. So really, I think they are working toward something....but it just isn't apparent right now. And that ac is only there 2 days a week.

Sigh...we really need the coaching fairy to show up and bring us a coach!!

yeah. he is also working a fhs ft, but I think he will compete the tsuk.

yes. He likes that better than the other one. he is just not a strong vaulter in general, so we just hope he makes it onto his feet! LOL!

I don't know if this is helpful for him at all or not, but DS's coach says that an ideal optional routine should include the hardest skills he can do and still achieve a 9.0 execution.

Have you had an options of camps (even local ones) this summer? My boys are at Camp of Champions right now and their college age coach went with to learn more - both boys have been doing tons of new stuff (L6 boy doing lots of his bonuses, layout on floor, etc, L7 boy did double full into pit, Tsuk and FHSFT vault, tons of high bar stuff and lots of drills)...my point is their HC set them up with 2 camps like this so that they would work with more experienced coaches for a couple weeks this summer (and more high level boys) and sent the new coach to learn stuff....maybe theres a similar option near you?

I think the 8-year-olds at our gym are working on getting all the way over the vault table, haha. I really hope you find a great coach.

There are no local camps around here. They are heading to Flip Fest on Saturday, so hopefully he will be able to work hard there (but I know D..he will have a great time :)) Owner says she is trying to bring in some clinicians, but summer is almost over..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back