MAG Stitches out tomorrow!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
He is so excited. I, however, am nervous. He has his heart set on competing Saturday, and I worry they are going to tell him no. I have been trying to read a bit, and most after-care sheets say that the skin will be weak, and can be reinjured, but that full return to sports is likely. LOL! Can they be more contradictory?!?! Anyone had experience with stitches/sports? If they are likely to tell him to take xx weeks off, I would like to give him some warning.....

He has 12 stitches in his food, just to the outside of his ankle bone (pics available upon request, just didn't want to gross people out ;))

eta: Tomorrow will be day 10 of stitches.

Strong advice is to check with your GP- some injuries are pretty much to good to go after stitches whereas others may need a supporting bandage- depending on the cause/position of injury.

YEah we are planning to wrap it for a while. I think it will be necessary! I jus thope they le him go back to full/or at least almost full, workouts..

Talk o the doc, but I can't imagine a problem unless he whacks his ankle on pommel horse or P-bars.

LOL! Which is always a possibility :) We plan to continue it bandaged fora bit to hopefully mitigate some of that!

Just a thought - when they remove the sutures they could apply a line of steri-strips. It might make everyone feel more secure :) and they would fall off on their own within a week or so.
Good luck!

My ds had stitches across the palm of his hand and he was back at it in 3 days, but with a glove over his hand to protect it from germs. He was (sort of) careful until the stitches came out (10 days) and then right back at it.

I was shocked at how fast it healed and how quickly he was using it normally.

He has 12 stitches in his food, just to the outside of his ankle bone (pics available upon request, just didn't want to gross people out ;))

eta: Tomorrow will be day 10 of stitches.

i'm trying to visualize HOW this was done, WHERE those stitches went and HOW they are now attached to his ankle bone from WHERE they started. must be a new hog tying technique i haven't seen. i'll get back to you on this...:)

i'm trying to visualize HOW this was done, WHERE those stitches went and HOW they are now attached to his ankle bone from WHERE they started. must be a new hog tying technique i haven't seen. i'll get back to you on this...:)

Again..pics available :) and hogtying is always an option. they are not attached to his ankle bone....

One of DS's teammate's moms is a no-nonsense doc. She'd probably tell you to put super glue on it, wrap it up, and throw him out there to go. :D Hope he gets a clean bill of health and clearance to compete!

He does! Doc said he could do anything...without pain! Wow.. I was shocked. So he went last night. Didn't dismount but did do tramp a bit. So we shall see!
Yeah!!! So happy for him. No more playing on or near the bleachers!

My DS had rips on both palms and had to get rebandaged after every event because of bleeding. He survived the meet.Even placed 5AA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back