Parents Summer "camp" at another gym ok?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
My 5 year old DD, who is currently on pre-team, goes to a daycare/daycamp around the corner from our house in the summer since my husband and I both work fulltime. We were wanting to switch it up and find some other camps for her to go to this summer and a different local gym offers a day camp in the summer from 8am-6pm during the week. Would that be ok to send her there for camp for a couple weeks this summer? Or is that weird since its a gym that competes against our gym? Our gym doesn't offer a summer daycamp option, or we would just do that. I'm 100% positive it would get back to her coaches that she was there, shes 5, she tells everyone, everything. lol

At our gym they would not be OK with that. Especially since our gym does camp. The expectation is if your gymmie is available for a camp during camp weeks they should be at the gym they train at. They can't really stop you but it's not pretty when they find out about it and they always seem to.

They will give recommendations for other camps if it doesn't interfere with our gyms camps.

If I was looking to send my child to more camps then our gym does, I would ask the coaches for recommendations.

Since you said that your gym doesn't offer a summer day camp option, I wouldn't see a problem with it at all. If they did, I could see the conflict but since they don't offer it, I don't think it would be cool for them to get mad that you took advantage of a camp at another gym. Some of our team gymnasts even go to camps at other gyms, and our gym doesn't mind at all since the only camps they really offer are rec camps and the team gymnasts need something more advanced than that. Will she still be able to attend her pre team classes during the weeks she did the camp? That would be the only concern I would have, I wouldn't miss valuable pre team instruction for a camp that is more rec based but as long as she is able to go to her regular classes too I don't see a problem with it. And your dd would probably enjoy the change from her regular daycare/daycamp she goes too, especially if she loves gymnastics and all things related to being in a gym like most little pre teamers do!

Is it gymnastics camp w/ the primary purpose to learn gymnastics skills needed for competition, or just a fun camp where the kids run around and play in the gym doing games like relay races and just general organized game playing activities, or maybe even field trips? I'm guessing it's at least somewhat the later cause 8am-6pm would be a REALLY long time to do gymnastics training. As long as it is just a summer day-camp type of thing, that probably has a lot of non-gymnasts in it, I don't think it would be a big deal - but I'd probably still give your gym a heads up and explain what it is so they don't misunderstand something your daughter says in class.

It sounds like this is a general public day camp, correct? It just happens to be held at another gym. In that case, I would say no biggie. Our gym offers a day camp and it is not gymnastics related. The kids do get to play on the equipment some, but they do other normal day camp activities.

Is it gymnastics camp w/ the primary purpose to learn gymnastics skills needed for competition, or just a fun camp where the kids run around and play in the gym doing games like relay races and just general organized game playing activities, or maybe even field trips? I'm guessing it's at least somewhat the later cause 8am-6pm would be a REALLY long time to do gymnastics training. As long as it is just a summer day-camp type of thing, that probably has a lot of non-gymnasts in it, I don't think it would be a big deal - but I'd probably still give your gym a heads up and explain what it is so they don't misunderstand something your daughter says in class.

My gym would be fine with it. She is 5yo, she just wants to have fun and needs summed childcare. You could mention it to her coach so they know it's a camp and not classes at another gym.

Honestly though Sone of our team bots go to a camp ran by another boys program. The coach likes that they get more gym time and coaching from some other people. Overall, it makes them better gymnasts.

Our gym would not have a problem with it even if the girl were on the team, unless she is supposed to be training at her gym during those hours. But your dd is on pre-team and is lonely 5, so I doubt it matters. It's not like you're trying out for their team secretly.

My DD is o. Team and they do not allow them to go to camps at other gyms, or at other facilities (I.e. Woodward, the ranch, etc.) but that's spelled out in the handbook we signed. They are ok with training at another gym while on vacation at a gym they approve of, but this is different. Like others said since your DD isn't on team yet and they don't have camp, they shouldn't have a say, unless it's already specified somewhere that you agreed upon. Wouldn't hurt to ask, I wouldn't suggest sending her without telling them, so just ask and see what they say.

Sheesh, D went to another gym for a week instead of his own and his coach couldn't wait to hear all about it. That gym has since been invited to work out at ours, and vice versa. Most of the gyms in our area have some camaraderie at least on the boys side.

My DD is o. Team and they do not allow them to go to camps at other gyms, or at other facilities (I.e. Woodward, the ranch, etc.) but that's spelled out in the handbook we signed. They are ok with training at another gym while on vacation at a gym they approve of, but this is different. Like others said since your DD isn't on team yet and they don't have camp, they shouldn't have a say, unless it's already specified somewhere that you agreed upon. Wouldn't hurt to ask, I wouldn't suggest sending her without telling them, so just ask and see what they say.

Really? The ranch? That's a new one. That's pretty darn strict!

Really? The ranch? That's a new one. That's pretty darn strict!
They will send girls for TOPS and National Team training of course, so it seems weird that they don't even allow the regular camps. The gym closes one week a year during the summer, the ranch could seriously bank on that if our gym made that a group option for the week they're closed, but such is life, that's the rules and I agreed to them :)

If this is a fun camp, no, but if this will train any skills, I think some professional courtesy doesn't hurt. In the end, you may feel it's your decision, but I wouldn't want it to impact the way your child is treated, because you misjudged this. Good luck!

Our gym encouraged us to send our DD to a college camp, as we felt she was a bit too young to go to Flipfest with the older team girls. Our head coach said there are a few they disapprove of, but not the college camps, so even though DD will miss a week of practice, they don't consider it actually missing....which I thought was nice.

Especially since it's invitation only, and only the best place in probably the world to be as a gymnast. But ok. [emoji106][emoji4]
Are their summer camps invite only? On their website it looks like anyone can sign up. Our gym does send girls for TOPS and national team training (we currently have two girls on national team) they just don't allow any girls to go to any sort of summer camps, if that makes sense.

Are their summer camps invite only? On their website it looks like anyone can sign up. Our gym does send girls for TOPS and national team training (we currently have two girls on national team) they just don't allow any girls to go to any sort of summer camps, if that makes sense.

No, not the summer camps. They're for anybody.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back