Parents Summer practice hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym does runs a summer camp, and I know my niece's gym also does the same thing, so maybe you can look into camp into training or vice versa. Summers are tough, and definitely reinforces the family commitment and creativity to making it work. Good luck!

I LOVE the summer daytime schedule as a working parent because that means I actually get to SEE my gymmie and hang out with her in the evening after work. But I recognize we are blessed in that my husband's work is flexible and he can transport her. It would be much more difficult without that.

Our gym is definitely in the minority. Evening practice all year long! They get rid of Saturday's in the summer, and if we are lucky they will start practice at 3:30 instead of 4.
It has it's pros and cons for sure. I would love to have some family dinners at some point in my gymmies life!

We are pretty accommodating, we have plenty of kids who stay after practice and hang out waiting for rides, or who get dropped off early due to work schedules. The gym is open from 8:30-8:30 so kids can stay as long as they need lol.

We have some morning, some afternoon and some evening practice times. It is crazy because we don't practice on Saturdays or Sundays during the summer so they have to squeeze all of the groups into 5 days instead of 7. I work a non-gymnastics full-time job and coach part time...and have a daughter on team. I can't coach during the day at all...so I always give my evening availability and then tell the owner if they want to schedule the levels I coach during those days, great and if not, I will enjoy 6 weeks off! (our summer schedule runs from second week in July thru the end of August.). I am lucky to have a teacher husband, involved grandparents and a carpool so daytime hours aren't a terrible problem for us...

We have 8 weeks of summer gym camp. It's almost a work day. Six hours plus half-hour lunch. The "almost" part does make it difficult because camp starts after most parents' workday starts and ends before most workdays end. The one thing I love about summer gym is that she gets her weekends back. The one thing I suspect she loves about summer is that half-hour lunch to spend with her teammates.

We have one gym in our area that sticks with evening hours during the summer (and we have a LOT of gyms). The first year that I dealt with this it was pointed out that the coaches wanted the kids when they still had energy and could really work, that getting them after they have been at the pool all day means that they don't have much left for practice. Also, it is usually when the gym is emptier, so no working around rec kids.

We will be informed probably the end of June on when DD will have summer practice.....I'm a teacher so it works for us. We do a lot of carpooling among the team.

Weekday daytime practice during the summer. Senior team practices 10-2 and Junior team practices 2-5.

I have had to hire a nanny the past several summers to be able to get her to and from practices and be with the kids when not at practice.

I love summer morning practice! I am off in the summer so I end up helping carpool kiddos to and from gym. And to the pool after practice, and back home. We love the evenings to have fun time in the backyard with teh family! I love it. I actually get to see my gymmie more than car rides!

At our gym the optionals practice in the mornings during the summer, typically 8-12 MTThFSat and the compulsory kids still go their normal schedule in the evenings. I like that my L6 can be done earlier in the day and that we have most evenings together as a family.

My gym has morning practices as well. Another parent and I carpool so we both aren't driving there 2x a day, 5 days a week! That seems to be the typical summer practice around me.

Sounds like carpooling is going to save my life! I really hope I can make this work, I can't imagine pulling DD out of gym after she has worked this hard...she's been talking about team for so long now I just have to figure out a way.
I think I'll email the gym today to see if they can at least give me a guesstimate on when practices will be. There has to be someone there who has a sliver of a clue!

My girls always had morning practice in the summer, no matter what gym we were in. I kind of liked it because we could eat like a normal family....at dinnertime (6 ish), and all at the table.

My job has always been really accommodating about me having to transport my girls to/from practice....we had a carpool for some of the years but by the time we were at the gym with the 200 mile RT commute, my girls had their licenses....and that was an enormous help.

Our gym has a rec camp so my gymmie just goes to that on the days she has gym. She hated it last year because her team workout conflicted with the fun stuff at camp. Hoping this year her team workout is at a different time (there's a mix of morning and afternoon sessions at her gym) because then she wouldn't miss the fun stuff.

On the days she doesn't have gym I work from home or use flex time to take days off so we can go to the beach and have some fun.

Summer practice here is also daytime, but could be morning or afternoon, depending on level and coach. Most coaches coach more than one level, so one of their groups will be a morning and one will be an afternoon.

I think dd will have afternoon practice this year. I work so my parents drive dd to gym when dh and I work. Afternoon practice means that she can go to summer camp in the morning and gym in the afternoon and be home for dinner. That works for us, but if we didn't have someone to drive dd, we'd be in trouble.

It varies some group to group in my kids' gym. There's a mix of early morning, mid-day, and later in the afternoon/early evening, but it tends to correlate higher levels with more frequent early starts.

Most working moms have help (grandparent, aunt/uncle, niece, etc). Some working moms adapt their hours and go in on a bigger carpool. Some hire in-home nannies or hire transportation.

I'm actually working on my teaching certificate and choosing to switch to that career path in part because of gym... I mean, the field interests me (though several do), and it works for their summers off in general, too. But the fact that it works with gym doesn't hurt!

ODD artistic moves to day practices 4x per week usually 10-2.
YDD T&T stays at night 3x per week adding maybe Sat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back