Parents TAAF Gyms in Houston - Biron's?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

WindyDay

Proud Parent
Does anyone know about the TAAF teams at this gym? We're on the pre team at a wonderful USAG gym, but the demanding hours aren't what DD wants from gymnastics.

Biron's level 3 and 4 teams, as far as I can tell from the website, go only 3 hours a week, and their 5 and 6 teams go 4 hours. I realize those are extremely low hours for any team, but they sure do make it easy to stay in other sports as well.

DD's goals for gymnastics - she wants the conditioning that comes with team-tracked gymnastics, and she wants to learn higher skills. I hear all the time that she wants to learn to kip and backhandspring. She does love getting to compete...I'm hoping to find a gym that will let her continue on in a way that works for her.

She's been at a gym that emphasizes perfect basics and conditioning over skills at the lower levels, and I also hope she'll be able to slide into a new team/preteam OK.

If anyone has experience with lower hour competitive gymnastics in the Houston area (we're on the northwest side), please post or message me!

And yes, I've already talked to Dunno. ;)

I didn't mean to imply the ASI programs were not good, as well, I just don't have personal experiences with them. If you are close, I would definitely check out the ASI programs because they also have their own competition organization that competes in a league like TAAF (and maybe some TAAF meets too) and trains low hours.

http://asigymnastics.com/girls-team-faq/

Stars has a really good TAAF team.

ASI Cypress and ASI The Woodlands have programs, as well.
Thank you, I'll look into Stars!

This is very strange. I have been through the ASI websites with a fine toothed comb and wrote them off because they went as many hours as the very competitive USAG teams around here. But just double checking (because I wanted to list the hours correctly on here) I find that they are lower hours.o_O I seem to be getting daft as I age... Their price per hour is very high comparatively though, it seems.

I am pretty sure their tuition includes meet fees and coach's travel expenses, so it's not so bad. I'm not 100% sure but I would check that out.

I am pretty sure their tuition includes meet fees and coach's travel expenses, so it's not so bad. I'm not 100% sure but I would check that out.
I think you may be right. And I think I might have gotten confused because say, level 3s may go 6, 9, or 12 hours a month.

Does anyone know about Bannon's? I just called and got their hours and they may be an option too. I believe they do Xcel.

I was going to suggest you look into Xcel - some of these gyms that don't have TAAF are probably doing that. Maybe even your current gym. It's hard to mimic USAG level 4 on 3 hours a week.

I was going to suggest you look into Xcel - some of these gyms that don't have TAAF are probably doing that. Maybe even your current gym. It's hard to mimic USAG level 4 on 3 hours a week.

Thanks! Very few gyms here do Xcel as far as I can tell - and most that do are a serious drive. We are definitely open to Xcel though. Our gym does not have a competitive track aside from USAG.

Most of the gyms seem to be doing Xcel around here (Ft Bend). In fact there is one that I know of that only does Xcel

Thanks! Very few gyms here do Xcel as far as I can tell - and most that do are a serious drive. We are definitely open to Xcel though. Our gym does not have a competitive track aside from USAG.

Interesting! All gyms in my state have Xcel...in fact some have only Xcel but I can't think of a single one off the top of my head that has no Xcel (maybe one or two exist but it's a very small number). Too bad - it's a great program and very flexible. It's still newer though so hopefully it will catch on in more states eventually. I do think states that had a long running program that was the alternative track to levels and was fairly different from Xcel are seeing slower adoption of the Xcel program. In my state we had a program before Xcel that had a different name but was extremely similar so when the national Xcel program was put in place the whole state just adopted it. But in other places the alternate programs were more different, or for example used the compulsory routines with some changes or less competitive way (AAU is and was big in some areas for example and goes more by the compulsory routines) so I think those states are still coming around to it.

World Champion Center does TAAF or Excel ( I don't remember which ) but they may have higher hours. The WCC JO team has high hours. You should look at Flips they seem less intense.

We also don't have competitive level 1 and level 2 (a few gyms are trying to do 2 but it isn't really catching on and there's no state meet). So instead we have bronze. I imagine in places where 1 and 2 is huge that would really eat into bronze and maybe even silver.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back