WAG Team Rules!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rorysmom17

Coach
Proud Parent
There has been a bit of a shift at our gym, and there is a new team director who wants to make some positive changes.

The kids currently on team need a total overhaul. They are super sweet kids, but most of their behavior and work ethic would absolutely not fly at another gym. They remind me of kids in beginning rec classes. Whining, talking back, chatting after every assignment or explanation, coming in late... etc. We are hoping to put together some team rules for the girls so that we can hold them accountable, make some positive changes, and get them to take team more seriously and grow as gymnasts! We also obviously want them to have fun, but as with any new coaching situation- we need to give them a clear idea of what to expect from here on out and their behavior and work ethic has to improve before this can happen!

Does anyone have anything like this (rules for the kids!) set up at their gym? If so, is there anything that really works well? Anything that should for sure be included? Anything you wish your kids coaches encouraged or discouraged?

This is for JO level 2 and 3! Mostly ages 6,7 & 8! Although it should really apply to any team kids! This is just where we need more reminders! ;)

Just a reminder that 6, 7, and 8 year olds should NOT be held responsible for being late to practice in ALL cases.
They are responsible for coming into the gym prepared to practice (in a leo w/ or w/o shorts, hair up ... leggings and hoodie for warm up if cold).
Because they can't drive, the adults in their life need to do their best to get them to gym on time ... although at 8, OG did threaten to take the car and go if my brother didn't get moving. LOL.

Our rules are just about staying off the equipment before practice... following directions... waiting for the coach to tell you what to do... helping move mats if needed... and Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility.

Lol yeah of course they are never punished or held responsible for being late at that age! I just think it is crazy that it is such a huge issue! Also- practice begins at 5pm! Not sure that would even be a rule because like you said- totally out of their control, I guess the larger issue is parents and kids not feeling like team is a commitment if that makes any sense?

Just a reminder that 6, 7, and 8 year olds should NOT be held responsible for being late to practice in ALL cases.
They are responsible for coming into the gym prepared to practice (in a leo w/ or w/o shorts, hair up ... leggings and hoodie for warm up if cold).
Because they can't drive, the adults in their life need to do their best to get them to gym on time ... although at 8, OG did threaten to take the car and go if my brother didn't get moving. LOL.

Our rules are just about staying off the equipment before practice... following directions... waiting for the coach to tell you what to do... helping move mats if needed... and Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility.

Lol yeah of course they are never punished or held responsible for being late at that age! I just think it is crazy that it is such a huge issue! Also- practice begins at 5pm! Not sure that would even be a rule because like you said- totally out of their control, I guess the larger issue is parents and kids not feeling like team is a commitment if that makes any sense?
Yah... it makes sense that they should take team more seriously.
We actually had a girl on team the 16/17 season that would skip whenever her mom asked if she wanted to go to gym or not... Had 6 weeks between the last regular season meet and the Championship meet. We only practice 3 days a week (5:30-8pm). She attended practice a max of 5 times. Surprisingly, she did NOT improve over that 6 weeks. Then, she quit coming.
Well, come this January, she was at the gym (as an observer) and decided she missed it. She told her mom she wanted to come back to team. Because of her / her mom's lack of commitment the previous year (and she was actually supposed to be on team in 15/16, but quit that September because her mom didnt want to buy her a team leo and warm ups... told the girl they would be like $400 and she didnt have the money - it was actually $75), she put her back in rec. She has to try out for team again this year (it's tonight) AND show that she is committed by only missing for LEGIT reasons between now and the start of the season.

I was once in a similar situation with my girl scout troop with all the behaviors you describe. We did two things to solve our problem. My co-leader and I brought in a poster board and we had the girls create their own rules. We ended up having a good conversation with the girls on what we were trying to accomplish in GS and why each rule they suggested mattered for our overall purpose with scouting. The girls mentioned almost everything that the leaders wanted to see changed and we worked in a few other ideas into the rules. In the end we had all the girls sign the poster. For the few months we put up the rules poster at every meeting and the girls would often correct each other during meetings ("shhhh...rule #5) We also enlisted parent's help and encouraged them to give their daughters a little reminder before each meeting. If I were a coach I would probably have a little incentive for the girls in addition to having them sign some sort of rules sheet. Maybe the group gets a certain number of stickers at the end of practice based on their overall behavior and once they have X number of stickers they get a fun reward. I would plan for one incentive around the 2 week mark (something little like they get to play a game or free day on an event) and then have a much bigger reward after a couple of months (ice cream/popsicles and no strength).

DD's Gym makes the parents and the gymnasts sign a contract. For the gymnasts contains things about commitment, working hard, keeping a good attitude, being kind, and being respectful. For the parent, it contains things about appropriate behavior and getting your gymnast to the gym on time. For the coaches, it contains things about professionalism, being at the gym to coach, and making every gymnast the best they can be. It is in place of written rules. It seems to work well as any one of the parties can simply mention the signed contract when a problem arises. Dani (my DD I hate DD) actually has spoken about the contract throughout the year.

DD's Gym makes the parents and the gymnasts sign a contract. For the gymnasts contains things about commitment, working hard, keeping a good attitude, being kind, and being respectful. For the parent, it contains things about appropriate behavior and getting your gymnast to the gym on time. For the coaches, it contains things about professionalism, being at the gym to coach, and making every gymnast the best they can be. It is in place of written rules. It seems to work well as any one of the parties can simply mention the signed contract when a problem arises. Dani (my DD I hate DD) actually has spoken about the contract throughout the year.

These contracts are pretty much standard issue in all groups that my kids belong to. My kids sign them at the beginning of the year in school and each sports team has one too. I think they are a good idea to help set expectations for the classroom/organization. The only problem is that some kids need a little more and some groups of kids need a little more. My DD is a rule follower...she talks about rules and contracts like your DD. My son....not so much. He's needed some help along the way with short term incentives here and there. I think this would be good for the OP to do too but it also sounds like she has an immediate problem to solve that a contract may not be enough for.

Our team director did actually start "punishing" kids who were late. He asks for an email or phone call if your child is going to be late. The girls will text another teammate to let him know if something happens like traffic or they forgot their grips at home and had to turn around (happens after every meet with at least 1 girl!). He doesn't punish them. It was more of a thing put in place because a group of girls that carpool together were constantly late - 5 girls coming in late to every practice and missing most of their warm up caused issues for the entire team. There were also the girls that were lazy and slow getting out of bed on Saturday morning. The threat of rope climbs if they are late got their booties in gear. Granted the kids cannot drive themselves but having the kids push the parents along solved the problem (this group of parents are the type that are always late no matter what time anything is, if it's a practice in summer, leading up to a meet, a MEET, a meeting or paying their fees - they're a self absorbed group of adults in my opinion) and my kid thinks twice when she wants to hit snooze one more time on Saturday morning. I would have a problem with it if I were late for something I couldn't control and my child was punished but this is not how it's been handled. Aside from that - I think coming up with team rules is great. At that age, they have no problem tattling on someone who is breaking a rule - be prepared to hear it!

Agreed. It comes down to what happens if the contract is not followed. At Dani's gym, the HC/Owner does and will break relations with a gymnast that does not follow the contract. There have been parting of ways with a few athletes this year alone. Sometimes that parting works out best for all parties, sometimes it does not.

Also agree that the OP immediate problem will be hard to solve, low expectations have already been set. Maybe some generic rules handed out with the expectations that the rule sheet will be read and returned signed? Start the new season with new agreed upon expectations and consequences.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back