There's a new gym in town...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I've been hesitant about posting anything about the new gym because I'm afraid that someone from our current gym will see it and all of a sudden the rumor mills will be full of gossip that I'm switching my DD to the new gym. So IF anyone from our current gym sees this, nobody has made any decisions to move ANYWHERE. This is an "out of curiousity" question only! :p

That said, our area is, IMHO, long overdue for a second private gymnastics team. The current one is bursting at the seams, and not, I don't think, because it's an amazingly wonderful gym, but just because that, other than our little YMCA gym, it's the only game in town.

The gym is not even due to open till mid-August (and that's if all permits, etc. are on time) and right now the new owner (who was apparently a much-beloved coach at the other private gym) is saying all of the right things about schedules, environment, being very quick to answer all questions, etc.

I'm just curious about other's experiences with brand spanking new gyms? Has anyone joined a gym (or coached at a gym, or whatever) the first year they've opened? I'd be interested in experiences, both positive and negative, words of caution, etc.

Thanks!:D

My dd's gym opened in 2008. We weren't there the first year so I can't offer much. I'm guessing the first few team members followed the coaches from their former gym. The team is still small but the rec program seems to be going strong. It also has a boy's team and the other competitive gym in town is only for girls.

Only time can tell if it is the right fit for your DD. It ultimately comes down to the coaching staff that is hired. I am sure there are some horror stories about new gyms but from my perspective, out gym started about 8 years ago and the owner had coached at a YMCA prior to that. The team has grown so much in that time and is still growing.

New gyms can be great. No pre-determined stars, exicted parents, excited coaches, excited kids. It is sort of moving into a brand new housing subdivision. Everyone is trying to make it a great community. With that being said, it takes a few years for a new gym to break even which sometimes means that they will take alot of girls and boys that should not be on team/levels to have a bigger program to help pay the bills. More kids more profits.

Gym with proven track record?

Tried new gyms twice and left one and the other went out of business. My DD is now at a gym that has had a team program for almost 20 years. New gyms can be great but if your daughter is wanting to get a college scholarship or go elite, you may want to consider going to a gym with a proven track record. Or at least has coaches that have the ability to get the girls where they want to go.

The HC is a former elite/college gymnast, so that's something at least. I do worry about them going out of business. I think this area can definitely support a second gym, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't still go out of business if it is poorly run.

We live in a small PA town, too, Mary :) That being said, my DD is at a gym that is going to be in its 2nd comp season coming up. She trained during the first comp season with the L4's, but did not compete. I switched her here from a larger, more well-known gym that I just wasn't happy with. The optional girls did very well last season. The HC is wonderful and has been coaching and judging for over 20 yrs. It is small and they are building the team. My DD has learned so much and has gotten a ton of personal attention. It was the best move for us and for her. HTH!

I think this is a program to keep your eye on. Since the gym doesn't open until at least mid Aguust, doubt that they'll really be able to get a comp team together for this coming year, but it will be interesting to see where they are at next spring.

My DD went to a brand new gym last season too. We were nervous about changing programs for her (she went from Prep Op at a very successful gym back to the JO program at a brand new gym). It has been very successful for her. We did know the HC/Owner and knew that she had already owned successful gyms in the area a few years ago and she has had experience with college/elite athletes. We didn't have to deal with that issue tho, since my DD is already in high school is isn't at those upper levels. I just wanted her to have fun. She wanted to go back to JO to see how far she could get... so it's all good.

I coach at a gym that's been open about a year.

I've really enjoyed it-there's no "this is how we do things" because when you're a new gym, there's no patterns that are set. It's very exciting, building it from the ground up. And our kids who've been there from the beginning are awesome, as are our new kids. Everyone knows each other if they're there when it starts, and I like that a whole lot.

I've been hesitant about posting anything about the new gym because I'm afraid that someone from our current gym will see it and all of a sudden the rumor mills will be full of gossip that I'm switching my DD to the new gym. So IF anyone from our current gym sees this, nobody has made any decisions to move ANYWHERE. This is an "out of curiousity" question only! :p
:D

Unfortunately, no matter how you qualify yourself, some people believe what they want to believe. And I believe you are posting out of curiosity. :cool:

Anyway, switching gyms, new or old, is always a gamble, in my opinion. (You can lessen your risks by of course doing research--which you seem to be doing. i.e., coaches background, management style, gymnasts, goals of the gym, etc.) There are just so many factors. I personally would go with experience first; a gym that has an established record. If you are willing to roll the dice on a "new" gym and have the time to weather the storm of the first few years (until they iron out the kinks), you MAY have a gold mine. Worst case, you may be looking for another gym (not too bad unless too much time was wasted at the new gym) or going back to your old gym (if that is the only alternative and is still an alternative.)

One of my DD's former teammates practiced with another gym for about 4 weeks before actually switching. Of course, our gym did not know about it. Our HCs are not very forgiving and has never taken any gymnasts back who've left for another team. So the HC of the other gym allowed them to practice with them for a month just so they are sure. They did make the switch and are very happy. I'd see what kind of arrangements I can make to lessen my risks. But personally, I'd be hesitant to move my DD unless I know the track record of the coach(es). I'd call that other private gym where the coach came from to get more information. I believe your DD is now a L6? Since optionals are not too far down the road, I would be a little more selective.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back