Parents Things that make you go huh?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipper's fan

Proud Parent
Went to an out of state meet this weekend. We usually do a couple in our region each year. So, our level 7 and 8 girls have been averaging floor scores in the 9+ range all year. In fact, my dd has never got a floor score below 8.5 since her first level 7 meet, on level 7 or on level 8. Yesterday, our girls got scores of 7.6, 7.7, 8.4, 8.8. None of them had any major flaws and none of them were sloppy or different from previous meets. They all improved on vault, bars and beam. Usually dd or her coach can explain scores that seem unusual to us parents but not this time. All the other gyms were posting high 8's and 9's, so it was not overall hard scoring. Our girls got medals on vault beam and all around. Huh?

I find this happens even on "in state" meets...I'm thinking the judges sometimes like the "look" of one girl over another, say for instance, long and lanky over short and short legged...or sometimes some judges seem to like (for instance on floor, maybe showy over not so showy, or some music over others, or very lively over dramatic, etc...I think they all get the requirement points evenly and then some of this other stuff falls into place and can hurt/help depending on what they are looking for or at)...But I have really no idea, in my mind I've questioned sometimes some of their methods for scoring...but in almost any case, pointed toes, straight legs, body form, and leap height, to name a few things can certainly show between one gym to another...

Absolutely- it can happen anywhere. It's just weird that the first five meets were consistant, and the sixth is kaflooey. I did notice that the other state's dance elements were a little different, and that their level 8 tumbling passes were usually RO/BT/full or front LO/front full where ours were front tuck RO BHS LO but all the gymnasts met the requirements and got the start values. and, we have competed in that state before ( last year) and not had the same experience. Sometimes, it just doesn't make sense.

I was told by one of my daughters coaches that there are times that the scoring is wacky and you will never figure it out. I wonder if the fact that the girls were from another state had anything to do with it. I can usually understand when scoring is tough but on everybody like low scores across the board but that seems unfair. What did your coaches say about it? Now they wonder why kids and parents get frustrated with this sport!

Since in gymnastics, everyone pretty much does the same requirements, I really don't understand why it would be that different (I don't think judges choose one state over another so it's not that)...maybe your coach could email the USAG for that state and just simply ask what your state's gym may have done differently that seemed to "turn them off" as your gym would like to correct this for future meets...or something like that. Not sure if you'd get an answer, but they could ask...

Good idea- he's baffled too. But it's probably best to just chalk it up to one of those fluky things and move on. We've competed in that state before and haven't been so confused, but now that you mention it, that is the same state where dd got her lowest floor score before this one- you may be onto something.

Next meet is at home, in our gym. I'm sure things will straighten out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back