This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey aerial, congrats!!
i don't have children age 3-5, but i used to teach gymnastics to kids that age, and it is very challenging! it can also be really great, though! most of them don't pay attention well, and not only can that be frustrating, but it can be dangerous in a gym for them to be going crazy and running off or climbing on things and jumping off of things.

my advice is come prepared... think ahead of time of lots of things you can do with them that involve basics, drills, conditioning, and games (games that either just wear them out, or games that involve drills and conditioning). that way, if you are doing stations or drills with them and they're not paying attention and starting to get crazy you have lots of other options you can pull out of your bag of tricks to keep them occupied and you're not standing there scrambling your brains thinking of what to have them do!

secondly, while you have to be upbeat and friendly to keep the kids engaged and having a good time, it's really important to be very firm right off the bat and let them know that misbehaving is not acceptable. set a couple of important rules right away and enforce them. in a gym, not listening to the teacher can result in getting seriously hurt, and you need to protect your gymnasts safety first. plus, if you let things slide, they will know they can get away with stuff, and take advantage of that.

i know those are just a couple of things, but i don't want to go on and on. i taught kids ages 3 and up off and on for 2 years, so i have a little bit of experience, though i'm by no means an expert, but if you ever have questions feel free to ask me! or PM me! good luck :)

yay!! great job on L7. maybe i'll see you at a meet!
i haven't coached the little ones, but at the gym i work at, they have a basket of carpet squares (like the samples you get from a carpet store). they get to pick their carpet square for the day and that carpet square goes with them every where. when they are waiting in line for their turn, they sit on their carpet square. when the coach is showing or telling them something, they sit on their carpet square. and when they are running around not listening, you tell them to sit on their carpet square.

monday was a good day on bars. really working on a routine that will be ready for L8 if i decide to do that instead of modified optionals.
vaulted - just incase someone was wondering...yes it is possible to hit your derriere on the vault table. not only once, but twice! i didn't learn from the first and the second time was so hard that it sling shot me to my face...it was swell. the vault was really high and i hadn't vaulted in forever.
the tramp and tumbling is going very well. i'm really improving my form and height.

Hey Katy, what is in your proposed bar routine?

I finally really feel like I'm getting somewhere and my ankle is doing really well. Still no tumbling but I'm working on the things I can that I normally would neglect, like handstand pirouettes, full turns (since I do them on my left foot), and kip cast handstands and drop kips on bars. I even got on beam and walked on my toes forward and backward and did backwalkovers on the floor beam and worked on tuck jumps on a line on the floor and was surprised they didn't hurt at all. I can't wait to tumble again but at least I feel like I'm progressing in gymnastics again somewhat and once I can tumble again at least I'll have some new stuff to add to routines when I compete next summer. I just can't break anything else in the meantime. Anyway, I hope we all can meet at Woodward gymnastics camp next August. I think that will be a real confidence builder for all of us if we get to workout together as adults. Glad to hear about all your progress :).

I, too, feel really good about gym these days. Especially about bars. I made all but two toe hechts yesterday, which was amazing. Normaly I make about every second or third one and yesterday I made all but the last two. They weren't exactly pretty... and maybe I've only improved my ability to muscle up kips but hey, it's a good start. Also, I'm slowly getting back my timing on kip cast clear hips. And my straight flyaways are pretty solid now. It's weird how, all of a sudden, they're so easy for me whereas before I'd always let go waaaay too early when I tried to do them straight (I always had a pretty solid tuck).
Also beam is getting there. slowly. I'm not a fan of beam. After being short of falling back into my mental block it feels like my roundoffs are slowly getting more confident again. still only on the low beam but I don't wanna rush them. There's no need. Also my switch leaps have gone from dead ugly to worth getting credit. Whatever that means. They're still not pretty but not too shabby either.

Hey Katy, what is in your proposed bar routine?

kip, cast, switch kip, front hip, squat on, stradle back, kip, squat on, long hang kip, clear hip, giant, giant, layout flyaway.
i have been working the low bar portion separate on the high bar. can't wait until i am strong enough to put it all together.

So today not only did I have just a great workout, but I stuck a FHS!!!! Stood up totally straight, was completely shocked, then proceeded to fall backwards on my butt, but I landed it! I also did a BHC 100% by myself too!!!! YAY(feeling super proud of myself, can you tell??!!)

So today not only did I have just a great workout, but I stuck a FHS!!!! Stood up totally straight, was completely shocked, then proceeded to fall backwards on my butt, but I landed it! I also did a BHC 100% by myself too!!!! YAY(feeling super proud of myself, can you tell??!!)

Thats so awesome!!!! Did you work with Cori today?

I have had pretty good practices lately. I have flipped tsuks with a spot on the vault with a resi pit landing, and I am at least landing on my feet before plopping to my butt (I sometimes face plant them, or land on my knees). So getting closer to that. I continue working on double back flyaways but they are inconsistent and not good enough to take out of the pit. I have been working on straddle cast and think it will be better for me with my long body, but its an adjustment. I made a layout full around in the resi pit on floor which was the first time I have landed that in my life! I got it on tumble trak a couple weeks ago, but I tend to not be able to replicate the twisting from one turn to the next, LOL. But things are coming along.

Its so cool to read about everyone's progress on here, keep up the great work and posts!

Hey Grizz,

Do you feel more comfy doing free hips from just a cast, cause I saw a good one on a video you posted one time. Its funny, I like doing them more from a kip cast but everyone's different. I hear you on the layout flyaways, they can be freaky.

I did get to work with Cori today. It's funny, b/c I found I work harder for Cori then when I go to NHAAGs. Went there yesterday, and you would think I hadn't done gymnastics all summer lol.

It's great how much progress everyone is making!!!! BTW, what is a switch kip? I am trying to picture it in my mind, but it just doesn't look right.....

I think I officially have my BHC, did two all alone today, didn't even have a coach near me, so there was NO possible spotting involved! Cartwheels on beam are consistent, as are handstands, and FHS is coming along pretty well. Good week of workouts for me!

not too sure which video you're talking about, I think the last one I posted was from a kip cast as well. Because that's definitely what I prefer. Mostly because my casts are pretty awful, but my kips are decent so that I can get some more swing out of that.

I think I officially have my BHC, did two all alone today, didn't even have a coach near me, so there was NO possible spotting involved! Cartwheels on beam are consistent, as are handstands, and FHS is coming along pretty well. Good week of workouts for me!

Thats cool re: the BHC, because the second part of that skill is similar to coming over on the pullover..

Well I am hopeful that now I can do a BHC that I will be able to get that last part of the pullover, because I kept getting stuck at the same point with both, so I am looking forward to what the next week or two will bring

Did 10 FHS and landed every single one! And out of 8 or so BHC, I manged about 5! I love it when things progress! AND, I will be able to have two more hours of gym time!!!!

Did 10 FHS and landed every single one! And out of 8 or so BHC, I manged about 5! I love it when things progress! AND, I will be able to have two more hours of gym time!!!!

Are your fhs on the tumble trak? I never get to see you practice anymore. nice job!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back