Tiger Paws and Balking

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
My DD is now wearing Tiger Paws because of tendonitis in her wrist. Since then she has been balking alot on her back tuck or back layout. She tells me that her feet are in front of her when she lands her BHS so she cannot get enough height for the back tuck. Could there be a correlation between this and wearing the tiger paws? She never had this issue before. She is afraid to say anything to the coaches because they are currently deciding what level the girls are going to compete.

Also, any ideas about drills she could do to help with foot placement? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of handstand snaps to rebound to off a board or panel mat- I draw a circle w chalk where the feet should land on the snap. Also LOTS and LOTS of RO BHS rebounds to high stacked mats---coach can also draw a square/ circle where the feet go-she needs ti talk to the caoch and ask for help. The coach KNOWS she is balking and will respect her maturity. This is very common- she is having fear issues, and by making it a "technical issue" she wont have to admit to being afraid. I think if you explained to her everyone gets afraid and try to help her figure out a way to talk to her coach. Good luck!

lots of handstand snaps to rebound to off a board or panel mat- I draw a circle w chalk where the feet should land on the snap. Also LOTS and LOTS of RO BHS rebounds to high stacked mats---coach can also draw a square/ circle where the feet go-she needs ti talk to the caoch and ask for help. The coach KNOWS she is balking and will respect her maturity. This is very common- she is having fear issues, and by making it a "technical issue" she wont have to admit to being afraid. I think if you explained to her everyone gets afraid and try to help her figure out a way to talk to her coach. Good luck!

To be honest this is what I thought as well. She has had ongoing issues with different things but has overcome so much. She is doing a BHS on beam now and her flyaway is looking great! Both had been fears for over a year. My thought was to let her "think" is was technical so that she would not start to stress out about it too much and that doing drills would help to her "think" she had worked out this technical issue. But then again that is the mom in me trying to keep her from worrying too much about it!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back