WAG Times of Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I at first did not care for the later end time as we do a early bedtime, but I have come to prefer it. Coming home for homework/food/break before practice seems to yield much higher quality homework. I totally enforce the work done before gym!

All of our competitive levels get out at 7:30, and some parents still complain. They don't realize how lucky they are, most of my coaching friends at other gyms coach until 9:00 each night. Past my bedtime!

I am excited that DD's class is now changing to 6-7 two nights a week rather than 4-5 because my sons karate and theater classes are at 4 as well so things were really hectic last school year. One of the other moms is quite unhappy about it though because her little one is in bed by 6:30!

DD's (L4) is
T, W 5-8
F 4-7
S 9-12

I really like that that have done it this way as now she only has practice on two school nights rather then 3 or 4. They tried to give a little earlier end time on Friday so the girls can attend school activities on those nights.

DD gym practices 4-8 for L5-10 but different days for the L5/6. Levels 3-4 practice 3:30-6:30 four days a week.

We do xcel. My dd's group is a 5-8 age range (silver/gold) that practices with the head coach and we will practice Tues & Thurs 3:30-6:30, Sat 9-12.

I haven't seen the whole teams fall schedule yet but I believe a group of older girls come in after us 6:30-8:30. I think our higher level girls come in the evening M,W,F 4:30-8:30, Sat 1-5, and most cross train with T&T on either Tues or Thurs.

Then we have a couple other groups with other coaches 3:30-5:30 MWF, 5:30-7:30 MWF, 3:30-5:30 TR, 5:30-7:30 TR.

Middle school is the biggest issue with them not starting until 4:30.

Our practice for that level runs 4-7 some days, 4-8 some days. I don't feel that it's too late for us, but I do feel for the parents who drive 1hr+... But school gets out between 3:15-3:45 here depending on district so 4 is the best starting time. I'm glad it's right after school (as in we go straight to gym) instead of coming home, getting ready and starting at 5 or 6...

The schedule for xcel golds- diamonds is 6-9 on Mondays and Thursdays, 11:30-2:30 on Saturdays. We do have some golds that are 8-9 years old but most of the girls are older (mainly high school). I think that USAG 4+ also practices until 9. I'm not looking forward to how late our nights will be and will have to manage my time and homework really well.

D will go 4 nights a week (m,w,th,f) from 6-9 and sat from 9-12.

When I was at one gym, some of my little guys would start fading after 7 so it would have pointless to go any later. Both had to wake up pretty early for school or daycare in the morning. I told one boy he should take a nap in daycare before school instead. I should have wrote him a note or something.

Kids under 8/9 should probably be out of the gym by 730. This will depend on what time they have to go sleep and wake up for school/parent dropping them off.

Pretty much at 9/10 and beyond, it'll be 730-830.

A lot of this has to do when practice can start. 4pm start time for optionals, out at 830. We were able to do this in Novato because the HS were fairly close.

Not really possible in bigger cities like Sacramento. Commutes are killers.

It has been interesting to read about the experiences and reflections that respondents have posted. I am learning much about the different reactions and situations facing other parents/gymnasts.

Practice times are situational and are a business tactic. All of the gym's weekday clients prefer late afternoon or early evening hours. The facility and staff can not accommodate this desire. each business, gymnastics gym, has it's own tactics to make the business work. Balancing the resources, needs and business desires are an art.

In my business example, most of the Optional (USA-G L6-9's) are able to ride the bus to the gym at the conclusion of school. I am able to start practice early (3:15PM) and then have a staggered start for the few who can not. I do this to make Optional gymnastics enjoyable and work for the young gymnasts. Deliberately I have given L6-9's Friday evenings off and practice Saturday morning (8:00-12:00pm). Saturday mornings the Optionals, once awake and alert, have better energy than their school days. For my athletes/families, Friday nights have been a request as they have been getting older (age 11-17). USA-G L3-5's have 4:30pm start times as the gymnasts "do not drive," have fewer bus options and families can not get them to the gym before this time. Ending times vary from 7:00 - 8:30pm depending on level. Late - but with family, gymnast and gym planning it works.

School does come first. We reward a tuition discount for the months that the semester grades come out and the girls are able to meet our team scholastic policy. As such, we do encourage athletes to take a homework rotation when they need it. They must study in a designated study area (in direct vision of the gym), report their progress and our staff confirms the action with guardians (via email) in the evenings before they depart the facility. For most of our gymnasts this has been very beneficial.

Adding a behind the scenes look at Coaching in regards to sharing a student athlete: (1) Only this past week have I begun to receive general P.E. unit schedules forwarded to me by the gymnasts school P.E. instructors. I do this so I can identify any possible conflicts. If I have the gymnasts at their max -they are at their max and vulnerable to injury when faced with additional physical tasks. An example this past year was an endurance unit in PE that requires long runs (60% max.heart heart rate) in the lead up before our Region Championships. I worked out alternatives months ahead of time and all parties were happy. (The P.E. instructors I worked with, can not alter, but they accommodate and modify.) (2) I will hand-out general meet schedules with tentative travel schedules to parents in our parent meeting this coming week. This should arm them when they work with our public schools to arrange their student/athlete's schedules. (3) This coming week I begin my first meeting with local school folks. I try hard to visit the local A.D.'s with our program mission/outlines and a Thank You card I print in advance of the year. I identify the student/athletes, status, goals and in general their athletic year. In the past, we have spoken about all things athletics/coaching. (4) Traditionally I give the week before school off - gym is closed. This is give a needed break for all. (5) Workout Planners (all levels) for 1st week of school are light on conditioning and tasks so that the athletes stay safe and energized.

I look forward to the rhythm of the Fall of 2014.

Best, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back