WAG To Compete or Not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rockyrose

Gymnast
Hi everyone! I'm posting this here to get some advice and insight from both parents and gymnasts alike!

So, about two weeks ago I asked my parents if they would be willing to let me compete Xcel before I graduate high school in the next few years. I've always wanted to experience a competition as a gymnast and feel I could really benefit from even just participating in one. My mom said she would think about it after we talked to the gym owner.

Now, before I go on let me give you a little bit of history. The gym I go to is excellent as far as recreational programs go, but team seems to be a different story. They have recently just lost one of the best coaches and have hired another one, as well as some "junior" coaches. My friend was hired as a junior coach around October and was actually coaching the team even though she has never actually done anything on any apparatus, except floor. It's scary to think that unqualified people are coaching. (I've actually told my friend this and she feels the same way. She no longer helps out with team.) Also, the gym has always been a little disorganized and relaxed. But, now it's getting a little bit worse as the gym owner no longer has most of the control over finances and the team because of illness. Instead, it's being managed by one of the owner's children, who we respect and like, but sometimes worry about her coaching methods.

Anyways, when we spoke to the gym owner, who automatically said yes and told me more information would be given later. I was told I could come twice a week or add in an extra day as well. That was pretty much it. My mom and I worry about the lack of communication/disorganization and aren't sure if we should look into another gym for competition. We have always dealt with this gym since I began, and I have bonded closely with the gym owner and one of the coaches. I don't want to leave the gym or upset anyone, but I don't know if it's the best gym for competing at.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Any advice or tips?

Thank you for reading this really long post!

This is a tough situation...If I were in your shoes, I'd switch gyms, because I wouldn't want an unqualified coach spotting/coaching me. Think of it this way, if you switch gyms, your not betraying your coaches, and it won't be the last time you'll see them again, just not as much.

I think you should switch gyms. I understand that it'd be hard because you've created a close bond, but if you're in an unsafe environment, that's not the best for you. Always do what's best for you! Good luck as an Xcel! It's really fun!

Bumping this again to give an update. I have been at the gym, observing the team a little more after my private. They all seem like really fun girls and such, but I don't know.. something just seems off- maybe it's just how relaxed everything is? I also hate how they all do their jumps/turns differently on beam, so you never know the correct way to do it. (some other coach made fun of me yesterday doing it the way I was shown by another girl)

I also worked with another coach last night, no clue if she's even certified or not. But, it was really painful and kind of awful probably because she doesn't know me as well as the other coach. Bars is often my best event and SUCKED, because she just didn't know when to give me space or what I was even doing. She kept telling me I wasn't putting any effort into my kips and was just stopping myself. So, I listened to her and basically she was making me barely glide, then awkwardly get my toes to the bar, and just push up with all my arm muscle... the complete opposite of what my regular coach tells me.

idk. maybe it's time for a switch, but I really enjoy working with my private coach and I'm scared I'll have similar situations with a different coach as I did last night..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back