To Get Grips or Not to Get Grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
Hello!
First of all a little background:
I'm 17 years old, I'm training most level 6 skills, just don't have kip which holds me back completely. Soo frustrating. Need to get that glide swing for the kip. Anyway. I'm on bars a bit.
So I'm debating getting grips, I've had the hand guard pre-grip things. But I find them harder since they are made for small kids and are 'just barely' a little small for my hands so they pull while doing tap swings.
So I've been training without grips.
I do get rips, but not often at all.

So should I get grips? Do they actually help perform the skills or is it just more of a preference thing?

Any input would help.

Also I was thinking buckle grips at first because the velcro gets filled with 'pit' and then does stay down. But I've also heard that buckle can sometimes dig into your wrists and what if you want that at the tightness of in between holes (if that makes sense) So Velcro or Buckle?

Most girls at my gym have ReisSport grips. But I know a lot of people on here suggest US Glove, what pair of US Glove is the one people suggest?
And what about Ten.0?

Sorry for a lot of questions, and I know there are many other 'grip' threads. But I was wondering for my specific situation.

I use Reisport Velcro grips that I LOVE! They're great. :D

As for the skill part, they won't help. I find it less hard on my hands when I use grips, therefore my skills look cleaner, but graips won't "make" you get your kip.

It is totally up to you, but just remember that they are going to take at least a month to break in and they might be painful at first. When I first got grips about 2 months ago, I hated them because they dug into my wrists when I did anything with straight arms. I only just started doing good routines with them.

Grips can help, but they take aaaaaaaaaages to break it. However, once you break them in, they can be your best friend. I wouldn't say that grips help your hands not rip really, but they can make your hands hurt less.

If your planning on getting to bigger swinging skills, then I'd recommend getting dowel grips. I don't know if they help a lot, but they make me feel a lot safer.

As for velcro or buckle, as a person who has used both, I'd say buckle. Velcro really DOES get pit in it very easily and then simply does not work. While they may seem to be able to pull to the perfect tightness also, I found that not true either. You have to pull REALLY hard to get it tight enough. Buckles can sometimes be a little too loose or too tight, but you usually figure out your "happy spot" on the buckles. ReisSport is a good brand, but I really can't say anything about the others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back