"Toughest" Region?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've competed in PA lots of times...I'd say it's about the same as us. MD definitely the toughest, as I mentioned our Region Technical Coordinator is in MD.

I definitely agree. I grew up on the PA/MD line and when I switched over to a gym in MD and competed there for the first time I was in for a shock!
Currently I live in one of the less competitive states in R1 and I think the upper level optional girls really have a hard time stacking up against the girls from California. It's certainly not for a lack of talent, just that the numbers aren't there. There are also 2 or 3 gyms statewide that you basically need to go to if you want the chance to compete well regionally and nationally. Unfortunately, those gyms are clustered in the same general geographic area making the fight to the top even harder for girls outside that area.

Last edited:
I agree with the rethinking of the Regions, but I seriously don't think that is going to happen. There is too much on USAG's plate to think about that. There really isn't a good fit for Wyo in regards to travel. We really are hours in any one direction. Demographically we fit R4 better, with the Dakotas and Midwest, but it only helps a little bit when it comes to winter travel.

We have been in region 1, 2, and 7. I would say of the 3...region 1 is by far the hardest. That being said, Utah (my state) is the weakest state in region 1. It is really frustrating when girls from region 1 can't go to nationals with really good scores and a girl from region 2 can go with a 7.2! I have a great solution. We will gladly give up northern cal and take ID! Lets start a petition.

I did ask a couple of college coaches how they handle the differences in regions. If the end all be all is to get to nationals.....see point above! They said they are very aware of the differences and recruit accordingly.

Region 5 I have heard has had a very good national record. I think this thread is so relevant to many that have been posted from girls moving up before they are ready to girls being held back (entire teams).
Region 5 is where DD competes and just recently our 5/6 teams all were told that they would remain at their level w/out moving up. Doing a bit of research, I found that the # 1 gym in region 5 will only move a girl up who scores two 36.5's in one season. Many gyms in the region are instituting a similar cut off score prior to moving a girl to the next level. Our gym has always had the 36.0 rule. DD will have to get her 'Game' on if she wants to move up. If Region 5 has tough judging than a 36.0/36.5 will be hard to come by. The girls have to be that good. But isn't it better if the girls are judged harder yet manage to get the score? I think so especially at the compulsory level where both skill mastery and presentation of the routine is stressed.
Region 5 has stepped up their game and have instituted a lot such as new conditioning regimes like Insanity. It is a killer! DD is little,but she is becoming a brick house. I don't think many gyms in our region do TOPS, but that doesn't belittle what else they do. The coaches in this region are so serious about conditioning and skill development. All I can say is watch out for region 5 at Nationals.
DD actually competed level 5 as a 6 year old through the GIJO program and scored an 8.70 at her highest. To me, it was with an addition of cute points! I do see a huge improvement in her form especially the dance. Coaches are drilling precision of all movement. Skill wise she has always been beyond her age, but compulsory routines are judged by so much more. I can't wait to see what her routines will net this season through U.S.A. She will be so much more confident having competed the routines before, but lets see what other improvements she has made. DD's coaches are the best though! They know what she needs to do and I have noted they have her pegged and know what to expect of her. I like that because their high expectations transfer to her school. Kid is 6.5 but acts more like a teenager! Even with the attitude! But unlike a teenager, she still has the sweetness factor going for her.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is why we probably have the Mason Dixon League here in Md, in which my dd competes in. It is great that we have this alternative option and the MDL is growing by leaps and bounds and just went through an overhaul with the rules. I am very grateful for this league because if it was not offered, I seriously doubt my dd would be doing gymnastics.

It is interesting because MDL used to incorporate some participation from other states if I recall, but it is mainly MD now. I'm not really sure though, but I think it may be more in reaction to there traditionally having been almost no prep op in R7 for the last decade, rather than the kids not being good enough to keep up in the MD USAG competition (scores are lower across the board but that doesn't necessarily mean MD as a state is overly competitive. It certainly has good gyms but PA probably has more. I'd say those two are a toss up with VA being the wild card that occasionally is the regional leader in certain level/age combinations. Just depends). NJ has some good gyms and can fill their regional teams, but doesn't have the numbers the other three have. Same for WV and DE actually, there are some isolated very strong programs there, but they generally don't have the numbers to fill their regional teams.

All that aside it wasn't so much there was no demand for prep op in VA, it just wasn't organized. A couple years into the program the enrollment for the state meet was unexpectedly large they had to change venues mid-season to an outside venue. There is a push nationally for the prep op programs to organize regionally and even have regional competitions (R8 already does this). With the success of the VA program I expect that MD and VA are going to try and come in line with each other to facilitate competition in these programs across the states...on the VA side esp with the state being so large, many northern programs would be interested I'm sure in competing in southern MD vs southern VA.

Last edited:
It is interesting because MDL used to incorporate some participation from other states if I recall, but it is mainly MD now. I'm not really sure though, but I think it may be more in reaction to there traditionally having been almost no prep op in R7 for the last decade, rather than the kids not being good enough to keep up in the MD USAG competition (scores are lower across the board but that doesn't necessarily mean MD as a state is overly competitive. It certainly has good gyms but PA probably has more. I'd say those two are a toss up with VA being the wild card that occasionally is the regional leader in certain level/age combinations. Just depends). NJ has some good gyms and can fill their regional teams, but doesn't have the numbers the other three have. Same for WV and DE actually, there are some isolated very strong programs there, but they generally don't have the numbers to fill their regional teams.

All that aside it wasn't so much there was no demand for prep op in VA, it just wasn't organized. A couple years into the program the enrollment for the state meet was unexpectedly large they had to change venues mid-season to an outside venue. There is a push nationally for the prep op programs to organize regionally and even have regional competitions (R8 already does this). With the success of the VA program I expect that MD and VA are going to try and come in line with each other to facilitate competition in these programs across the states...on the VA side esp with the state being so large, many northern programs would be interested I'm sure in competing in southern MD vs southern VA.

I do recall Virginia having a few teams compete in the MDL when dd first started 2 years ago (one of our meets was in Va), but like you said, it is mainly Md now.

I am actually unfamiliar with which states belong to which regions (Anyone wanna fill me in?). I competed so long ago... These things get blurry. I have realized that everybody in their region thinks their region is the toughest. I will say, though, that I grew up competing in Minnesota and about 3/4 of the way through my gymnastics career I moved to Wisconsin and competed here. Minnesota judges were, literally, one point stricter in about every event. I was used to getting low-mid 8s (at the time, quite a few years ago) and winning every meet - states included - by a wide margin, and when I moved to WI or when I competed here for a travel meet, I was getting 9s easily, even on events where I didn't feel I had done my best. So I do think there is some variation as far as toughness of judging goes - whether or not that has anything to do with region, I do not know. It could just have been a coincidence.

Ugh, I have one specific memory though that really sticks out at me from those tough MN judges. I did a great floor routine, one of my best I had though at the time, and the judge gives me an 8.5. So my coach is really angry and he storms up to the judges table (which, as you guys know, is highly frowned upon), asking why I didn't score higher, and the judge tells him, "I've seen her compete before and she has done better." She judged me based on what she had seen before and not what I had just done. BAH! Still bitter about that! The judging wasn't always fair, but I'm sure it's not always fair anywhere.

Region 1 - N. Ca, S. Ca, AZ, UT, NV
Region 2 - Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, OR, WA
Region 3 - Arkansas, CO, KS, NM, OK, TX, WY
Region 4 - MN, Wis, NE, IA, Missouri, ND, SD
Region 5 - Illinois, Indiana, KY, Michigan, OH
Region 6 - CT, Maine, Mass, NH, NY, RI, VT
Region 7 - Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, W.Virginia
Region 8 - Ala, Fla, GA, Mississippi, LA, NC, SC, TN

Here you go (Thanks Jennemmy!)

My daughter has not been to any out of state meets since she is a compulsary so I have nothing to compare to but PA seems really tough on judging when we go to the big invitationals as compared to when we go to smaller meets. I have seen the gymnasts from Texas on you tube and some of them are just amazing. I wonder if daughter would even be accepted to a team in Texas. Do the tougher regions all train more hours I wonder or do they hold their gymnasts back? If they make them repeat levels wouldn't they be in the older age groups which they do not seem to be.

Maryland will start prep in the spring of 2012. I don't believe that have formed any plan for the program yet.

As for some of those MD Judges, I know them and the amount of experience and knowledge they have is incredible. They truly have a love of this sport.

NJ has JOGA and also many gyms also participate in USAIGC. Some NJ gyms will compete both USAG & USAIGC and there are some gyms that keep the programs separate, dd's gym keeps the programs separate. So NJ does a couple of different leagues, not just USAG.

We are in Region 7 in New Jersey and I think our state can be difficult. My DD has competed in PA and MD a few times and has always done better in the other states than her home state. Maybe it's a fluke! :eek:

We are in Region 7 in New Jersey and I think our state can be difficult. My DD has competed in PA and MD a few times and has always done better in the other states than her home state. Maybe it's a fluke! :eek:

Nope, I agree. DD tends to score better out of state. Do I think NJ is the toughest, I have no idea so I'm not going to say in that regards, but I am just saying I agree with you.

Nope, I agree. DD tends to score better out of state. Do I think NJ is the toughest, I have no idea so I'm not going to say in that regards, but I am just saying I agree with you.
I have a theory about this...my DD has done better out of state too. I think it has something to do with the gymnasts themselves just pushing themselves alittle more out of state;). I know my DD gets a bit more excited/nervous out of state, because she just doesn't know what to expect. She always seems to bring something just a little extra to her out of state meets:D. I think it's the way she channels her nervousness/excitement. She may be nervous, but it tends to come across as enthusiasm & confidence:confused:. It actually helps her perform better! I can't explain it, but it's just something I've noticed over the years. Anyone else see this in their gymnasts???

NJ has JOGA and also many gyms also participate in USAIGC. Some NJ gyms will compete both USAG & USAIGC and there are some gyms that keep the programs separate, dd's gym keeps the programs separate. So NJ does a couple of different leagues, not just USAG.

Yeah, but there is still a lack of an organized USAG prep op program in many places in R7. I don't mean to imply there aren't any other leagues, just that the prep op program was slow to pick up here. Again I would expect per the national trend though, that many programs within the region will come in line in order to allow regional standardization and competition. I'm not sure I'm for or against this, or even really care, but I expect that USAG prep op will become the pre-eminent alternative to USAG JO levels at some point. Once the program was implemented in VA that's certainly what we've seen. We did have some informal rec leagues but once the prep op got going it exploded. The fact that many competitions now have USAG JO and prep op in the same meets has been a huge plus for many gyms and coaches.

Our team scores well out of state too. Maybe gyms travel to meets where their girls have a chance of doing well? An easier scoring meet perhaps? DD got her first (only) 36 out of state. She was so excited and talked to another coach about it at the next practice. He said that invitational always scores easy. So we didn't really count it as a true meet. But we do go to that meet every year. I'm not sure we would travel the 3+ hours each way to perform poorly.

Yeah, but there is still a lack of an organized USAG prep op program in many places in R7. I don't mean to imply there aren't any other leagues, just that the prep op program was slow to pick up here. Again I would expect per the national trend though, that many programs within the region will come in line in order to allow regional standardization and competition. I'm not sure I'm for or against this, or even really care, but I expect that USAG prep op will become the pre-eminent alternative to USAG JO levels at some point. Once the program was implemented in VA that's certainly what we've seen. We did have some informal rec leagues but once the prep op got going it exploded. The fact that many competitions now have USAG JO and prep op in the same meets has been a huge plus for many gyms and coaches.

IGC is very organized, although not USAG, but organized none the less and there are quite a few gyms in NJ that do it and it seems to be the trend as it seems each year that a few more gyms pick up the program. It basically offers the same thing as Prep Opt (at least it sounds like it does from the description I hear from folks, not being exposed to it personally.) I wouldn't doubt it if you continue to see this trend at least in NJ.

I have a theory about this...my DD has done better out of state too. I think it has something to do with the gymnasts themselves just pushing themselves alittle more out of state;). I know my DD gets a bit more excited/nervous out of state, because she just doesn't know what to expect. She always seems to bring something just a little extra to her out of state meets:D. I think it's the way she channels her nervousness/excitement. She may be nervous, but it tends to come across as enthusiasm & confidence:confused:. It actually helps her perform better! I can't explain it, but it's just something I've noticed over the years. Anyone else see this in their gymnasts???

I am not saying NJ is the toughest either, but three of the meets we have attended are pretty substantial out of state....Parkette's, Pink Invitational and Hill's Maryland Classic. She always seems to score quite a bit higher.

Our team scores well out of state too. Maybe gyms travel to meets where their girls have a chance of doing well? An easier scoring meet perhaps? DD got her first (only) 36 out of state. She was so excited and talked to another coach about it at the next practice. He said that invitational always scores easy. So we didn't really count it as a true meet. But we do go to that meet every year. I'm not sure we would travel the 3+ hours each way to perform poorly.

I don't think the meets we have attended out of state are easy scoring meets, but I guess that is open to interpretation. Unfortunately, my dd missed out on the Nadia Comaneci Invitaional last year, but our gym did well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back