Training for NDP -- how do I control my child's obsession ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD was tested to join a new NDP junior group to start competition next year, she is the youngest at 4years old with girls up to 7yrs in the squad. She excels in some areas but is definatily not up to most of the 7 years olds standards. It really frustrates her and she come home trying to practice EVERY thing her coach's work on in class.... to the extent that i asked him to tell her to clean her room and that night i found her disinfecting the skirting board, window ceil and windows!

How can i control this gymnastics obsession into practical stuff she can practice at home WITH OUT me by her side?

I honestly don't think that you can control a gymnastics obsession :) With my two, I have a rule of no flipping or saults of any sort out of the gym, but they still endlessly cartwheel everywhere, are always doing handstands anywhere and everywhere. DD will go from room to room in our house by bridge walking or doing backwalkovers.
I never suggest that they practice at home. Occasionally their coach might suggest that I try and "encourage" them to practice a certain skill or stretching at home. I'm happy to remind them, but I never insist.

I had to giggle at her disinfecting her room, I have asked DS's coach in the past if he could suggest that he eats more vegetables ;) Your DD obviously loves gymnastics and her coach... that is what is really important at 4 years old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back