MAG Tumbling on heels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, apparently, D tumbles on his heels. i think it is all related to his posture, still quite a bit of an arch in his back. I think that makes him be farther back on his heels rather than his toes.

Is there anything he can do to work on this? He tumbles quite well for being on his heels. And I am hoping he was just really tired last night so it was worse.

Ideas?

Properly done plyometric training would fix it. What is being done to fix the posture? That needs to be addressed.

NOthing right now. We don't have a coach. So I will take any and all suggestions. In the past he has done handstands on the wall. HE has heel cups in his shoes to help encourage him to walk forward a bit. The back sway has gotten a bit better, but it is still very noticable.

He needs to learn to pull his belly button into his spine. This should be worked standing against a wall and laying on his back. In both cases the arms need to slowly slide up over his head while he keeps his rib cage pulled in. When he is laying down, his legs should be straight. There can be a little knee bend standing up to help with balance. Done regularly (many times/day), you will see the posture straighten out over a period of 4-6 months. This can have a dramatic effect on their gymnastics. A simple plyometric drill that can be done at home is jumping rope (properly done). It should be quick and done on the balls of the feet, with very little knee bend. The glutes are squeezed tight. The arms don't move much, the wrist provide the movement to get the rope moving.

So, I talked to one of the young coaches last night, and asked if he had noticed. He watched him today and said he was amazed he could do the things he was already doing on his heels. But they did start working on getting on his toes and started to see some improvements....

now if we could get a coach :(

I suggested this to D and young coach...even got the tape out!! I will have to reemphasize it to them....

TAPE HIS ARCHES. (dunno screaming a second time at the top of his lungs so it can be heard in Colorado) :)
Hi Dunno, please inform us less informed as to why this helps. I truly am just curious and like to store away such knowledge in case it's needed later.

pulls the arch up and relaxes the calve muscles so that you can get the balls/pads of your feet to the ground.

You have nothing to worry about.

I can't see his feet very well on his vaults, but he appears to be running on the ball of his feet in his tumbling.

Compare to this:

I am pretty sure even the elite pass through some heel contact when they tumble. Possibly not depending on how powerful they are. It's just not as pronounced and as easy to see because they are SOOO MUCH MORE EXPLOSIVE. Also, being heavier (and stronger, faster) helps to get more power out of the floor or a springboard.

I believe this is similar to the appearance that knees and elbows do not bend during tumbling. In elites, they re-extend and bend so lightly that it isn't very to see until you go slow-mo or frame by frame.

The ankle will flex as it punches to some extent before it extends.

As you land your foot goes Toe>Ball>Heel and in reverse as you jump.

It's just much easier to see in your body because he tumbles slower.

Stronger legs and more plyometrics.

J&As Mom I thought the same thing !!!! I was Ike THIS I have to see !! And then noticed it was in the guys section and so again I said THIS I have to see !! False advertising !!!! Lol :)

Dunno-
I am having little success getting them taped at gym right now. Should he just tape around the arch part of his foot? I will just teach him how to do it, and see if he remembers.

SK,
In the video of D's FX his tumbling looks fairly strong. I'd say above average for a L7. He's a little tentative on his run - especially on his 2nd pass - and he is rolling his knees forward (transferring weight from heels towards toes - when it wshould be the reverse) on his backward handsprings. When I hear a coach describe a gymnast as "tumbling on his heels" what they really REALLY mean is that they are a bit slow in rebound/repulsion. This is a common comment I hear about backward handsprings especially.

Actually the best tumblers (like the best runner/sprinters) make contact with BOTH the heels and the toes (and palms/fingers when on the hands) when tumbling running it's whether the ***weight is TRANSFERRED*** ___across___ these points effectively that counts.

In D's case his landing position on his roundoff is the weak link... and I'd guess that 70% of level 7's share this fault. I always tell my guys that I want them to do a roundoff such that if they did NOT do a backhandspring they would plow-up the carpet. I want SCARY POWER on the roundoff landing! As they touch their feet to the floor they should be shifting weight towards the heels. BACK WARD!
Here are a couple of illustrations showing a drill I use (Roundoff to PullMePullYou) and the Roff backward handspring sequence itself.

So - print the roundoff drill for D's coach - and tell D to do SCARY FAST roundoffs!

Ganba!
Steve

Attachments

• JustImageRoundoffPullmePullYou.png
    JustImageRoundoffPullmePullYou.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 28

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity