Tumbling with out-turned feet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
I have really bony feet and it hurts when I tumble with my feet together because the little bones whack into each other. I was in Rec when I started gym at 12, and as I started to tumble more I began tumbling with my feet turned out (heels generally together, toes apart) because this eased the bruising. I joined competitive 3 years ago (I'm now 19, I'm old!) and this habit is trying its best to stick around. Tumbling like this results in my knees turning out as well, and this makes my power go outwards instead of backwards when I tumble. My coach and I are trying really hard to fix it, but no matter the correction, I can't get my body to respond. My only success is getting my heels together - I used to tumble with my legs far apart as well. If I concentrate really hard I can do punches across the floor with my feet straight and together, or if I do a bunch of back handsprings in a row, by the second or third I can get them together, but can't do this with the majority of my other landings (especially the take-off and landing for back tucks). Has anyone dealt with this or can offer me some drills? I'm getting really frustrated because I know what I need to correct, but I'm having a hard time making my body do what I want it to :( Thanks!

yep...tape pads to the inside of your ankles. can't believe someone hasn't told you that up till right now.:)

My daughters bony ankles bam together when she tumbles so I bought her gel heel pads that you would put in your shoes & she tapes them around her ankles!

Thanks for those suggestions, I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me before! What do you think about fixing my bad habit though? Even the times tumbling doesn't hurt for whatever reason I still can't get my toes together and tumble properly.

Thanks for those suggestions, I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me before! What do you think about fixing my bad habit though? Even the times tumbling doesn't hurt for whatever reason I still can't get my toes together and tumble properly.

My dd doesn't keep her legs together on her back handsprings and they have her practice them on the tumble track with a paper between her kness, and sometimes they tie her ankles together.

you probably have valgus. nothing you can do.

you probably have valgus. nothing you can do.
DD had a former teammate like that. Couldn't get both her legs straight and together no matter what (even standing still). Great gymnast, but deductions all over the place. Too bad, because her legs were as together as her skeleton would allow.

Huh, well my knees do hyperextend rather a lot and when I put my feet together and straighten my legs, my knees don't actually touch. Guess I'm slightly bow-legged then, damn. Thanks for your input :)

I padded my ankles for years (read as: my whole career, ohmigosh the BRUISING, it was awful).

To undo the bad habits, I spent a whole summer tumbling in these things I made...they had small pillows that each had half a velcro on them (so one was hooks, one was looops), & each one hooked around an ankle. That way I could pull my feet apart if absolutely necessary, but I could feel it & hear it. I made 3 pairs for my gymnasts now & they have no complaints either.

i have this exact habit and i have not yet found a solution. but my coachs have been having me try to focus on tumbling on my toes and it seems to help :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back