WAG TumblTrak fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thepenguin

Gymnast
This is going to sound weird, but I'm scared of the TumblTrak. I can do a front tuck on the trampoline, but not off the TumblTrak. I can do a round off back handspring on the spring floor with a light spot, but I won't even connect it on the TumblTrak. Is anyone in a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to get over my fear?

(The TumblTrak is above ground, not in ground.)

Do you mean a fast track (the long bouncy trampoline type) or a regular tumble track?

My dd has always disliked fast track work for standard tumbles and would prefer to do them on standard track or floor. She struggles to control her power when doing them on fast track and has, on occasion, gone flying! She's quite happy learning skills off the fast track into the pit, but along it bah! It was actually a big deal back this time last year and she became quite afraid and no-one could work out why. I came on here saying that she had lost her roundoff flic and it turned out that was the root of it.

Once her coach got to the bottom of it she allowed dd to tell her how she felt and they discussed it but she then basically told her to get back on there and learn to control the skills, which she has made a lot of progress on, virtually unrecognisable from just six moths ago, but she would still prefer to work on floor.

They do lots of repetition and always start each session with simple stuff like split jumps along the track and building up through handsprings and roundoffs until they get settled and move on to bigger skills - never just going straight to the skill they are looking to focus on.

I hope you get it sorted.

I think your last sentence is key. It is above ground tumbl trak. Way back when I was a gymnast, we had an above ground tumbl trak with netting on each side in case we fell off, and a pit at end which went down to floor level. It was scary! Maybe try pretending you're on a really wide beam? Focus ahead of you and don't look down. :eek:

Bleh. I don't really like tumbl traks either. They're okay for front/back tucks or aerials or whatever (when you land back on the tumbl track), but when it comes to putting my hands down I can't do it. Jumping off into a pit is scary too on any skill. Can you talk to your coach and ask if you can not use the tumbl trak in training? Gymnasts years ago could manage doing back handsprings and front tucks without one. It's not essential and tumbl trak certainty isn't for everyone

DD also doesn't like the tramp type tumble track. They have one at the gym's secondary location, but she isn't there anymore. She is quite happy with that, as she couldn't control her tumbling on it - whereas the intent was to learn more difficult tumbling or improve existing, she spent her time just stopping herself from flailing all over. Sort of a waste in that regard.

My daughter initially felt out of control on the tumble track and over time it got better and eventually she was in total control.
I think it will just take some time.
I strongly believe its such an essential part of training.

This is going to sound weird, but I'm scared of the TumblTrak. I can do a front tuck on the trampoline, but not off the TumblTrak. I can do a round off back handspring on the spring floor with a light spot, but I won't even connect it on the TumblTrak. Is anyone in a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to get over my fear?

(The TumblTrak is above ground, not in ground.)

Ours is above ground...you just need to use it more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back